Have the bunnies sprayed on my bed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so this is a weird one, so i apologise, but I am completely baffled.

I turned over in the night and woke up because the duvet felt damp. I turned the light on and there was a huge damp area which stretched across over half the width of the bed. It does have a smell, but it’s not strong or a smell of ammonia, I can’t really describe it.

I can’t see any signs of a leak from the ceiling or anything and it’s just me and the buns in the house. They often sleep by my feet or on the floor next to the bed, but rarely explore anywhere near the top of the bed when I’m in it and that’s where this is.

The only explanation that I can come up with it that it’s one or both of them (unless I’ve started doing weird activities in my sleep / losing my mind) but is it possible that they could even generate this much pee?? It’s not a tiny patch, it’s an area bigger than 3 or 4 of them put together! If it is them, this would be a totally new thing ☹️

I’m so confused trying to figure out what happened! 😖

Attachments

• AF411E05-0078-4CFE-A85B-C26CF651A541.jpeg
    AF411E05-0078-4CFE-A85B-C26CF651A541.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 9500E465-1731-4082-BD7B-0DC68B83F6D6.jpeg
    9500E465-1731-4082-BD7B-0DC68B83F6D6.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 5
Inside the blankets/quilts/duvets whatever, i have found that the pee doesn't really give off the same distinct smell it would when ending up on the floor.
Depending on your bunnies, it might be that the pair made that huge puddle. Liquid stuff tends to spread around in absotbent materials, too.
Storm will sometimes wet a spot in the bed with his whole bottom jaw, but the puddle ends up usually about the size of his head. When more liquid is involved, the spread becomes even wider.
That is what i think, anyway.

Thank you for your quick replies. I think it’s a combination of the size of the area and the fact they have never gone outside of their litter box before that made me question it. My perfect little buns could never do such a thing! (Apparently ha)

Any guidance on the best way to stop it from happening again? My bedroom is their favourite spot to retreat to, particularly for their sleep during the day, but if I have to make it unavailable to them for a time, then so be it. My bed is mine, they can’t claim everything in this house haha

I just watched that too! They did it in the dead of night when I was asleep though, the little rascals, so no stopping them.

It also makes sense if I think about Kiki’s territorial / domineering behaviour over the last few days. She humped Gigi’s face to assert her dominance earlier in the week, now she’s trying to pee on mine to assert dominance over me in my own bed. Ain’t happening, little sass haha.

Also, she could’ve gone for the lower bed area but instead chose the place that I would roll into. Rude bun! I say she, because I’m 100% certain Kiki is behind this. My Gigi is far too sweet for these shenanigans ☺️

My mind is still blown at how much pee there was from 1 little creature (possibly 2 😉)

They sound to be spayed and bonded well, correct me if i'm wrong. I don't have any more advice to give on that part if it is indeed pee, because my previous lop boy would, despite being neutered and commonly well-behaved, still choose a favourite spot on my bed and then splash a biiiig-butt full of pee on it. He once mistook the small gap between my bed curtain and wall for his loo and let it all loose there. No matter what i tried, i couldn't het him to stop before he was no longer there at all.
Anyway i wish you the best of luck with teaching your buns that your bed is solely yours.

Awww, little naughty boy! And thank you.

You’re right, they were spayed in June and were already bonded when they were rescued.

They completely love my room and my bed, they would much rather be there than anywhere else, because it is dark and cool and they can hide and play with my cushions. I’ve closed it off to them today though in an attempt to restore the hierarchy in this house, if indeed the peeing on my bed is her / them thinking they have the upper hand. They loitered by the door this morning and Kiki threw a strop with toys flying everywhere, but they actually seem more calm and affectionate this evening than they have done the last few days. Not sure if that is linked at all, or just coincidence.

I’ll keep them out for a few more days. Maybe we just need to realign and remind them where their space is and where mine is. Good theory anyway haha

After a 2 day bedroom ban, patiently waiting for me to come home so they can wee on me again...

Attachments

• 6F5F00BB-64E8-4CAF-B261-7BCA08915012.jpeg
    6F5F00BB-64E8-4CAF-B261-7BCA08915012.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B20C1012-8323-45BA-9498-26694E35C03C.jpeg
    B20C1012-8323-45BA-9498-26694E35C03C.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 69FB0804-1493-4465-B15D-B771BFC1FE56.jpeg
    69FB0804-1493-4465-B15D-B771BFC1FE56.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back