Has anyone had a rabbit die while being spayed/neutered?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww that is terrible! I was thinking of callung the vets today, since they havent even called back. I read on a veterinary blog that rabbits shouldnt not eat the night before before anasthetic but 2 hours before op, my rabbit spent 20 hours without eating... i reckon that could have been the cause. I dont know anymore. But i am so sad. I also thought of getting another one to brimg a bit of happiness to the house, but not sure I can handle another loss.
X

Aww that is terrible! I was thinking of callung the vets today, since they havent even called back. I read on a veterinary blog that rabbits shouldnt not eat the night before before anasthetic but 2 hours before op, my rabbit spent 20 hours without eating... i reckon that could have been the cause. I dont know anymore. But i am so sad. I also thought of getting another one to brimg a bit of happiness to the house, but not sure I can handle another loss.
X
Rabbits should not fast before but who can be certain with 100% our vet did a necropsy and found he had a heart aneurysm but why? We asked for further analysis. I’m not sure why perhaps I just want to know it wasn’t our fault, not sure if that would make me feel any better but I just have such guilt. I’ve spent hours each day searching for the bunnies/rabbits to adopt to or buy. This has been just devastating.

X

@NYAngela is right. Rabbits should never be fasted, prior to surgery, or any other time for that matter. First, rabbits can't vomit so it's unnecessary. And secondly is that it's essential for rabbits health that they are always eating and always have food moving in their digestive tract, or they can develop a dangerous condition called GI stasis. Liver issues may also rarely occur when a rabbit isn't allowed to eat, which certainly could contribute to difficulties with them handling anesthesia.

@Elenaw if your vet told you to fast your rabbit prior to the surgery, I can't say if your vets wrongly telling you to fast your rabbit contributed at all to your rabbit not making it, but it does tell me that the vet was not an experienced rabbit vet and that inexperience alone could have played a part in your rabbits death. And in my opinion, this vet should not be performing any type of veterinary care on rabbits.

I know right now it's probably the last thing you want to have to deal with after losing your rabbit, but if Spain has any sort of veterinary regulatory board, I would strongly suggest that you lodge a formal complaint about this vet. Telling you to fast your rabbit prior to surgery is dangerous and irresponsible pre surgical care procedure for rabbits, and this vet needs to be reported if they are giving this incorrect information to rabbit owners.

I really understand what you both are feeling and going through, not only losing a rabbit due to surgery, but also a rabbit that you formed a special bond with. I don't form a close bond with all of the rabbits that I have had as pets over the years. I love them all of course, but sometimes there will be a certain rabbit that comes into your life that basically steals your heart, that you just make this special connection with. Often rabbit owners refer to them as their 'heart bunnies'. There have been a few that this happened with for me, and both weren't with me very long either, only a few months. But I really loved those little bunnies. They were loving and precious little souls and I still miss them terribly. So I can completely understand the devastation of your loss ,both of you, and the hole that you just feel in your heart after.

Hello everyone again
I was wondering wether this is a good idea or not, since we are so devistated from the loss of our rabbit, and feel like there is a space that needs filling in our life. I was wondering about gettimg another one ,not to replace her, but to fill the void. What are your opinions? Here is a picture of her xIMG-20201120-WA0025.jpeg

I’m so sorry for your loss and @NYAngela ❤️. So devastating.

She’s a little cutie 🥰. Beautiful colouring.

I think only you will know when you’re ready to let another bun in to your heart. She will certainly be deserving of a loving home, but her personality could be very different, which may or may not be a comfort to you all the time you are grieving your special bunny.

I remember when I was little and my first bunny, who was such a special character, passed away after a door was left open and he had a run in with our cat. It was my first experience of grief, I was completely devastated and can still remember it clearly. In an attempt to make me feel better, my grandparents bought me another bunny, but his personality just wasn’t the same and I almost resented him for it. Obviously I was a child, so for you it would be quite different, but I think had I been able to take a bit more time to fully come to terms with my loss, I would have been more open and patient with the new bun and would have allowed myself to love him.

If you feel you are ready though, I think go for it. Have you met her, or can you meet her to see whether you are drawn to each other?

Latest posts

Back