Has anyone ever heard of this kind of rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow10978

Reaction score
We have a woman where gypsy and I live trying toSELL Giant Satin Angora Rabbits.... We have spent the last 20 minuteslooking for such a rabbit, and all we keep coming up with are eitherGiant Angora's or Satin angoras. I am trying to figure out if thiswoman is really that dense or if they really do exist.

It's more than likely it's that she issimply breeding the Giants and Angoras and has some satin off spring.I'd be interested to see what one looks like.

The Womanalso said that She got themfrom a woman who was trying to bring back an old breed, hence the crosses with Satin , GiantSatins and German angroras , supposedly they are ""Giant Satin Angora's" I have looked all over teh web andthe only thing I can come up with is ,

1 Giant Angora's

2 Satin Angoras

3 French, German, and English Angoras ,

I am very doubtfull these are a truebreed but am willing to go have apeek at them and see , I also am doubtfull theyare pedigreed , I do believe the newspaper said shewas asking $ 35.00 for them also . for that price the Furr ifnot Pedigreed better be tipped in raw gold .

I'm going to be gone for a good part ofthe day tomorrow. I know I will be checking here to see what you find.$35 does seem high for a mix angora. Now I am really curious.

Tina

Hybrid angoras are common, and $35 is not a high price for a good "wooler" (spinners don't care if they are pure bred or not).

Pam

Thanks Pam ( I think) I wasnt going to go look because of theprice and cross breeding , except now you have mycuriosity peaqued!

Could you tell me what to lookfor as to quality of wool ? How would Iknow what is a bad wool , good wool ,greatwool , and to die for wool? Keeping in mind I havent a clue as to woolquality and what a Spinner would be lookingforin Quality . I thinkthe Satin sheen has something todo withhow you decide .. butbeyond that I am more than clueless . any help asyou know is deeply appreciated.

It would be so cool if you got hooked onspinning!!!!. Many people mix the Angora wool withother fibers (such as goat or sheep). However, a friend ofmine had some beauful items made of pure English Angora wool.Do look for a good balance of density (very thick coat)andguard hairsto the coat. (A soft,cottony coat is notdesired). The English Angora coat is very dense with fewguard hairs than the French and Satin. Density is alsodesired in the Satin coat, but it will appear less dense due to thenarrower diameter of the fur shaft.

Here's more info:

http://www.tanagersongfarm.com/fiber_arts/spinning_angora.html

http://mama.essortment.com/angorawoolyarn_rmqb.htm

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/pglaus/satinange.htm

Pam

Thank You Pam iwill check out the links postedand then I will go check against what I find, Im not sure what the Woman before thisowner crossed in so I am notexactlly sure of what I will find . TheHubby thinks I have suddenly lost what little mindI had for wanting to look atthem and then decide lol ,but he did ask if he shouldkeep an eye out for a working wringerwasher lol . :ponder:

well All I wentto see the baby bunnies ,< sigh > what little cuties they are, Mother and Father have excellent wooltype , very soft and when worked up has a beautifulsheen to the finished product .

The WOman also offeredto teach mespinning ,I think this is going to be a fun project that Ican really get into . Sheisalso going to teach me how toShear properly so as to notut the underlaying skin ,

so on to the Picture? yepyou guess it couldnt resistJUST HAD to bring one home ,and have one from a second litter on reserve .

Hi My name is Trixie :

trixi2.jpg

trixi3.jpg

I was really disapointed I really wantedthe Tort Buck , but she was keeping him, he is an absolute Doll !I wish I had brought my camera with me. oh well maybe on thereturn trip lol .

:great:

Very Cool, Gypsy!

Ya just didn't have enough rabbits, did ya?

BunnyMom just started a course in Spinning as well, if I'm not mistaken.

-Carolyn

Trixie's so cute!!! How old is she? How much do they weigh when full-grown?

I can send you some of Toby's hair for your spinning. I got a small box full last week when I trimmed him.

Laura

Latest posts

Back