Has anyone else felt an extreme amount of guilt and sadness for rehoming unexpected babies?

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Bunny_Mommy, Mar 19, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2019 #1

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Gary The Bunny Supporting Member

Oreo had three babies, but only one survived, and Storm had ten babies. They are almost five weeks old and I am rehoming them at 6 - 8 weeks, but I feel severely guilty and depressed about SEPARATING them from their Moms, and sending most to separate homes :( I feel like crying, but I work 40+ hours a week, live in a one bedroom apartment, and have severe thyroid issues (no energy), so it would not be fair to them to keep them all.

Has anyone else felt this way? I swear that I thought their dad was a girl, and he is getting fixed next week. It is so sad seeing the babies cuddle, kiss each other and their mom, who they will be separated from soon... I wish I tried harder to keep the male away...

Attached Files:

2. Mar 19, 2019 #2

jess24rose

jess24rose

jess24rose

Oh they're so cute my bunny is a baby still and I felt really bad adopting her and taking her away from her brothers and sister

Bunny_Mommy likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 #3

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Bunny_Mommy

Gary The Bunny Supporting Member

Yes, same with the dad of these babies. I only did because I knew he would be alright with me taking care of him, and he looked older than that. How old was your baby? I truly wish that people would stop selling 4-week-old bunnies, just because they think they are not nursing anymore.

4. Mar 19, 2019 #4

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Me. My doe Pip was pregnant when I got her. She had five babies. I found a pet home for one, then I couldn't bear it anymore and kept the rest. One died last year from illness, but the other 3 still live with their mom and half sibling as a spayed/neutered group, and the babies are 6 1/2 years old now.

But you do need the time to be able to do it. It was easier once I was able to get them all fixed and bond them as a group. Group cleanup and feeding is much easier than having to do it individually.

Just remember that these babies grow up and once they start to mature you can't keep them together anyways. If you do keep them, they have to be kept separate until they get spayed/neutered, and then see if they will be amenable to being bonded together, which not all siblings/parents will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted