Hartz Flea & Tick Drops Plus:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
The spring season will soon be upon manyof us, and with it often comes the threat of fleas and ticks. Manyowners will be stocking up on good topical treatments, such asAdvantage, Frontline, or Revolution. But many will also be usinggeneric brand remedies, which can prove dangerous (or even fatal) toyour cat.

"Hartz Mountain Corp manufactures a product known as 'Flea &Tick Drops Plus,' an anti-flea remedy which is applied to the animal'sback, like Frontline or Advantage. The difference is that Frontline andAdvantage use a much newer chemical, which DOES NOT HURT the animal.Hartz uses phenothrin which --- according to my vet --- has been aroundfor 50 years, is not nearly as effective, and can be toxic. Catsapparently are much more likely to be sensitive than dogs.

"After using this product cats may show the following symptoms; go intoconvulsions, become dizzy, uncoordinated and having trouble walking andloose weight if used over a prolonged time..."
(read more)

This product has killed or made seriously ill hundreds of cats(http://www.HartzVictims.org),and many veterinarians feel it should be pulled from the shelvesentirely, but the Hartz company has resisted all efforts from consumersto get them to reformulate their product. Rather, they've simplyrelabeled it with a stronger warning.

For more information, go to the website mentioned above(http://www.BoycottHartz.com),which contains a wealth of valuable facts and links to check out.

Here's to a safe and healthy spring!

I used Advantageon my cats last year ,one is fine with ithad no adverse reaction from it ,But My female Bitzycertainly did , after thevet administered it toher we came home , with inan hour shewas acting very strange ,i then called the vet back andhad to rush her back for anemergency visit , Not only wasshe allergic to it , it lefta burn down her back ,like someone had burned her, thisis the same wierdKitty who is allergic to distemperand rabies shots . We tried her onFrontline and have had noproblems since.

I dont use the off the shelfFlea products for my animals ,with the exception of a Fleacollar in my vacume cleaner. Others havegood luck or have beenlucky but personally i wouldnt takethe chance .

I have also seen whatsome off shelf products cando to a neck whenan animals system canthandle the chemicals , itcan be a rather nastywound to clean up .

Latest posts

Back