Harness & another important question....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
So there is another bunny picnic coming up in the next town over...it's next Sunday and its Italian food themed. There was another picnic last October and it was a ton of fun! This picnic is a pot lucks, I have to bring an Italian food for the humans to enjoy. Last year everyone brought their bunnies (bun lovers came from all over AZ) and there was a ton of xpens set up and even people walking their bunnies around on leashes.

Last year I brought Marlin and he did well, but this year I really want to bring another bun. Marlin is my "easiest to handle" rabbit, so that is why I brought him last year. Ryan doesn't want to bring Molly and Morgan because he is worried they will unbond due to other rabbits being around (I'm worried about that too, but I don't know if its possible for that to happen for whatever reason?).

So...I guess it is down to Brody and Jenson. Brody isn't easy to handle (hates being picked up and held), but he doesn't bite when afraid. I am worried that if I bring Jenson, he might get scared and bite people. I'd put a harness on either rabbit, just as extra security if they got out of their pen....but I just am not sure which one to bring. In a way, I think bringing Jenson would be good...get him out there and used to other people, but again...I don't want him to get scared and start biting people.

Which rabbit do you think I should bring?!

On the harness subject...which harness would be good? The vest kind, step-in kind, regular "H" style?

I don't know how close Molly and Morgan are bonded, but my pair doesn't unbond at agility events, even around other rabbits (several in the same pen with them too). I would assume that your rabbits won't be interacting with other rabbits too much, so they might be OK. It might even help their bond to be in a new place so they are have each other for security.

I would take the rabbit that is more outgoing in a place that he is not used to. Try taking them somewhere they are not used to and see how they handle it. A place where there are stangers (at least to the rabbits) would be helpful to see how they will react. As time if a factor to see how they will do, you could invite someone the rabbits don't know over, and use an area of the house they are not used to. That should hopefully give you a good idea.

As for harnesses, I think the H style ones are the best. The vest ones are hard to get one and tight enough. The step in ones would be easier to slip out of. The vest and H ones are basically the same except that the vest ones have the velcro on the front and underside while the H one has a buckle on the top of the neck and back.

My most out going rabbit is Molly, but she is bonded to Morgan (who isn't super out going). Marlin is skittish of stangers, but I think he did enjoy the picnic last year. Brody just hates being handled, but he is pretty out going.

Jenson (he was "Sherffif, I'm sure most know the history) has mellowed out from his neuter and is no longer "aggressive". He has some trust issues with women, though, which is why I think maybe bringing him along would be good for him...he can get used to other women who love bunnies. He LOVES men and I know that there will be men there, too. Since Jenson is a foster and I have a home lined up for him over in Cali already (details will spill later), I think getting out "out there" would benefit him. I'm just worried this might have a reverse effect and make him no longer trust me!? Gosh...I really need to talk to the animal communicator we have been working with, about this one.

Thank you...I do have some "H" style harnesses already, so I won't have to go out and buy one :D. Now....putting it on a rabbit that won't like that very much, thats the hard part!

I am getting my English Spot buck harness trained, he hates it so far, but it's pretty fun to watch him. I am at the point where I can't have rabbits loose in the house, even in the ex-pen, because my dog is, well, a pup, but genuinely a hunting dog at heart, probably thanks to his breed, because we definitely aren't hunters... So, at some point they've all been on the harness, cept my champagnes, cause it doesn't fit them.

I think you should bring Jenson! Because I've been following your blog, and I love him, and I think it'd be good for him.

I have a friend who has bought small dog outfits for her rabbits- my favorite is a biker vest type thing, that zips up the front and has a hook for a leash on the back- super cute, I think she picked them up at wal mart or our local pet store, not sure which.

That said, I use the classic 'H' style, and while it works, the rabbits really really hated it at first

"H" style it is, then. I am just worried about how I will get it on Jenson! I try not to "push my limits" with him because I know he is a very sensitive bunny. I did send a slightly frantic (hehehe) email over to the animal communicator because I wanted her to connect with Jenson and ask him how he feels about going to the picnic. I just don't want this to scare him and he loose trust in me.

If I do bring Jents, then I am going to have to make a 3 high NIC panel pen for him, since he can jump over a 2 high. I wonder if a 3 high is even capable of standing up on its own?!

ETA: Duuuuh...I can just bring a 2 high pen and cover it with a tarp since Jenson will need shade from the sun anyway. WOW...I need to chill out - I'm stressing too much, LOL!!!

I think you should bring Jenson too :)
He probably wouldn't bite, since he isn't in his own territory. I was going to say it would be a good way to try find him a home but you got that sorted already :D

Since the picnic is next Sunday, that could give you some time to put Jenson in the harness and let him get used to it. ;)

When I put my EL in a harness the first time, he acted like it was no big thing, and just continued doing his stuff - but the leash might be the problem. ;) Especially if he's very outgoing.

I would let him get used to it, that way he knows his limits and knows what the leash is for on Sunday, and won't be shocked. ;)

Emily

Okay, well I think I will bring Jenson (still waiting to hear from the animal communicator first, though)! Thanks for reassuring me with him, guys :biggrin:!

Patti....I'd LOVE a vegetarian pasta recipe!!

Emily...Good idea! I'm going to try to put the harness on him tonight and see what happens. Wish me luck :expressionless.

:goodluck I hope he takes to it easily.

I wish there were bunny picnic's in Northern California, sounds like a blast!

Well, I don't think I will try to put the harness on him tonight - he is out playing and seems rather irritated today. I walked past him eating his veggies and he lunged at me with his paws (no teeth!) and honked - he's just the type of rabbit who is possessive over his stuff (especially with women around)!!

Some bunny woke up on the wrong side of the litter box? A few of the rabbit's at the rescue are that way too. Very possessive of *their* stuff. It's funny because some days aren't as bad but other days they just have a "touch it and die" glare. Those days I give them space since they are set in their ways.

Probably a good idea to wait, yeppers. :nod

Exactly, Erika! That's how it is with Jenson...he's bipolar :p. He loves Ryan though, so at least Ryan can deal with him when he's hating me - currently Jents is passed out on the "pet couch", but he did jump up and sit with Ryan on the "human couch" a bit ago, LOL.

The animal communicator just tried to tell Jenson about a picnic and he doesn't understand at all. She's going to try to talk to him tomorrow about it, as she is a bit tired tonight.

He told her....
"What's the point of a picnic?"
:laughsmiley:

undergunfire wrote:
The animal communicator just tried to tell Jenson about a picnic and he doesn't understand at all. She's going to try to talk to him tomorrow about it, as she is a bit tired tonight.

He told her....
"What's the point of a picnic?"
:laughsmiley:
The point of a picnic is to go outside on a nice day, eat lunch on the grass, meet people, then have it rain and run inside for cover.

So maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't bring a rabbit who has any issues with being around people.

I've always thought of rabbits as the sort of critters who dont really "learn" from big scary experiences. I get exposing dogs to things like that would help them socially, but for some reason I think it might have the opposite affect on rabbits.

I guess I'm just not sure if it really sounds like something a rabbit could "enjoy". I suppose that might just be because I know my rabbit wouldn't like it.

I'd be concerned that the buns would just be really freaked out and uncomfortable. If you don't think your rabbits would react with that it sounds like a ton of fun though!

Jenson isn't going now.....he is actually going to his new HOME tonight/early tomorrow morning :biggrin:. His new owner has a bunny picnic to attend on Sunday and she might bring him, as I spoke with the animal communicator who spoke with Jents and he REALLY wants to go to one - he said he'd just thump his foot when he got scared & Steph can leave & take him home :).

Noooow....I am not sure which of my buns I will bring.

Luluznewz wrote:
So maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't bring a rabbit who has any issues with being around people.

I've always thought of rabbits as the sort of critters who dont really "learn" from big scary experiences. I get exposing dogs to things like that would help them socially, but for some reason I think it might have the opposite affect on rabbits.

I guess I'm just not sure if it really sounds like something a rabbit could "enjoy". I suppose that might just be because I know my rabbit wouldn't like it.

I'd be concerned that the buns would just be really freaked out and uncomfortable. If you don't think your rabbits would react with that it sounds like a ton of fun though!

It's not just you, you're right. Im only taking him if I see that he is ready to go or really wants to go (which Im sure he won't be). If he is not readyI will just take my girl louie, who just loves going out and gettingattention.

I'm hoping this picnic will be a good experience for jenson, so he can meet lots of Rabbit Ladies who will show him that not all women are bad and he doesn't have to be aggressive towards us (which is his main issue).

My vision of the picnic is Jents getting lots of snacks and head rubs from very nice ladies and realizing that we're not all bad. Then maybe his aggression will slowly drift away.

But like I saidI he is not ready it is no big deal we can always wait for the rabbit expo!!

Ps: Im jensons new mom! :sweep

:woohoo

Congrats Stephanie on being Jenson's new SLAVE! ;)

On the topic of potentially uncomfortable/scary events not being good for bunnies due to their prey animal status, I tend to disagree. The rescue I volunteer with had their first adoption event not long ago. None of the rabbit's would have been necessarily okay with the experience. New smells, tons of people and dogs, etc. The bunny we brought was scared stiff in the beginning. All she wanted to do was sit in the litter box. We understood this and allowed her to settle in. Then I went in the x-pen with her and kept her company. I placed her on my lap and gave her lots of lovin'. Towards the end of the event she was much more relaxed and hopping around the pen. Rabbit's are a lot like horses, they have more in common than their digestive tract. They are both prey animals, so extra precautions have to be taken at such stressful events. The important thing is to make it a positive experience and that you leave on a good note.

:twocents

Latest posts

Back