Harlequin lifespan? How long have yours lived?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaretti

Reaction score
I’m seeing some conflicting answers online.

How long have you seen harlequin rabbits lifespan be?

I thought before it was 13ish but I’m seeing other places say 5-7. My girl is about 3-4 and I wanna know how long I can expect to have her

13 years would be a long life for a larger breed rabbit, but is still possible. You're probably seeing variance because it depends on a rabbit's purpose and housing situation. Outdoor rabbits and those used for breeding are going to have more physical stress and tend to live shorter lives than rabbits that are fixed and housed indoors. A healthy diet, of course, is also going to be a factor, as well as genetic history/health.

In short, there are probably too many factors (known and unknown) to give an accurate guess.

13 years would be a long life for a larger breed rabbit, but is still possible. You're probably seeing variance because it depends on a rabbit's purpose and housing situation. Outdoor rabbits and those used for breeding are going to have more physical stress and tend to live shorter lives than rabbits that are fixed and housed indoors. A healthy diet, of course, is also going to be a factor, as well as genetic history/health.

In short, there are probably too many factors (known and unknown) to give an accurate guess.
She’s indoor free roam 6 lbs, fixed, diet is good, unlimited 2nd cut Timothy hay as well as some orchard grass and another kind of hay I can’t remember the name of at the moment haha, not alfalfa. 1/4 cup hay pellets a day, and a handful of mixed greens. Took her to the vet just a week or so ago and all checked out good. Would she probably be closer to the 13 Year end than the 5 year end then?

I would say she can get to be 10 years as long nothing happens and she can stay healthy. But you can never know.

I had a french lop (7), just a bit larger but small for a french lop (12 lbs) but her brother passed away at 3 years of age. But some can get over 10 years. Just enjoy every year you have with your bunny and don’t think about when they will pass away. Even small breeds can die early without a warning.

So I would say over the 5 year end for your bunny if everything goes well.

In the old days, I would see 5-8 yrs in the Petco information signs. Now, 10 is the commitment required if you are adopting. My guess would be to expect over 8 yrs, especially if indoors because owners are in tuned with them and will catch any changes that could signal illness and act before it escalates. Plus, there are more bunny savvy vets in practice.

Latest posts

Back