Hard Black/Yellow Callus on Hock? Or Something More Serious?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Pool

Reaction score
Hi Rabbits Online Community!

We have a 3 1/2 year old what we believe to be White Dwarf rabbit called Tulip, and we got her about a year and a half ago from All About Rabbits Rescue, an adoption center.

She's always had some sore hocks every now and then, and we learned that rugs over hardwood floor are actually just as bad if not worse than the bare floor because of how abrasive it is when they run over it (And she can run!) They've never been so bad to need a vet visit, but this time we noticed what looks like a blackened/yellow hard callus on her left heel. The surrounding skin doesn't look inflammed or sore, but this section of skin is concerning. It seems to almost jut out a bit.

That's also the hock that's always seemed to have issues in the past, and I just assumed that there was some broken skin there and it formed a callus.

We have a vet appointment in 5 days that we made two weeks ago, although I'm getting paranoid now that it's actually more serious and an infection--but wouldn't an infection also have the surrounding skin be red/inflammed, and not just a section of hardened callus? We can move the appointment up, but it would involve me having to take off work, plus an extra $70 charge. We'd rather both go on the weekend if we could, but wondering if this is an emergency or not.

I've attached two pictures I tried to take with not the best quality camera, but you can see what I mean about the color of it.

(NOTE: The hardened part looks a bit cracked, but there's no pus or blood or anything. I'm not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, but it looks like it might have gotten bigger in the past week too.)

Any advice, or anyone that's seen something like this? Should we move the appointment up and go immediately, or will it be alright waiting another few days?

Thank you. IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5968.JPG

To me the skin itself doesn't look sore, but what that brownish bit is I'm not sure. Maybe a scab. To me it doesn't look like an immediate concern that would require moving up the appointment as it doesn't look inflamed or infected to me. But that is just a guess going off the picture. If in doubt, it's always best to consult with your vet.

Hi Scott!
We have a Flemish Giant female named Lucy. We have been battling sore hocks for years. They look like yours but much larger and deeper. For a while, every time she ran vigorously or went outside the scab(s) would come off and there was blood everywhere. We changed veterinarians over this issue and she is doing much better now although they never completely disappear. Lucy is 14 pounds, so that is a whole lot of force on those hocks. The doctor put her on antibiotics plus an antibiotic cream. When it didn’t clear, we moved to laser procedures- once a week. What helped tremendously beyond all of that was adding a sheet I picked up at Goodwill. I folded it a few times and let the edges hang out. Eventually I decided to try one of Lucy’s interlocking exercise foam squares-I put it in the cage and now I don’t think she would let me take it away. I also jammed one in her travel crate. I hope that helps!

Update!

We went to the vet and she confirmed it was a scab, and easily came off. Said the hock otherwise looks good, and the skin under the scab looks to be healing good. and to just keep an eye on it like usual. So glad it wasn’t serious.

Thank you for the replies and advice!

Latest posts

Back