Happy bunny life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start the week with throwing the mattres cover into the washing machine and blanket that cover the mattress because Embla choice to urinate all over the bed. At least tomorrow or today I will get water proof mattress covers and I can easily shift between them. So now Embla can pee all she want up on the bed/couch.

Yesterday I trimmed all my bunnies nails and I got a nip from Embla which I deserved to get. I managed to cut her quick twice. Because she have really long claws but her quick are long also. Odin and Fenris dark nails are a lot easier to trim than Emblas because their quick are a lot shorter. So during trimming month I can nearly cut claw to 1/3 it’s length. If I did that with Embla I would cut into her quick every month.

I also noticed during trimming that my boy Odin had a weepy eye. So when I checked his eye to see if it was inflammed, I noticed a long fur strand stuck in the eye which I managed to clean away. It wasn’t easy but I hope the fur was what caused the weepy eye for him. I can think it’s like you get an eye lash stuck. Because his diet have been mostly hay with small amount of pellets and he’s been eating hay as normal.

541A39C2-2099-4AF6-849D-3FFB4AC74F1F.jpeg506D5B72-2F19-4C28-B912-E7303BE1A10E.jpeg
E3D6E2A8-3F03-4532-937B-D0562EDF3C62.jpeg

I’m looking forward when I can pick up Tyra next month and I truly hope she won’t have ear problems as Toste.

Turned out my partner got me a suprise gift which is another bunny. She’s a netherland dwarf because he wanted to cheer me up. It’s also a kind calm girl who treat her mates kindly. At least that what I’ve heard that she love to groom her friends and a social bunny. She’s blue eyed white which we are picking up tomorrow. So soon I will be having 5 bunnies in my household and I told myself 3 are enough.

On sunday I will fix the digging box to my bunnies because a store have extra price on sand. So I will update the toys then for the bunnies ☺️

A dig box fixed and a new hide house for the bunnies. I couldn’t find the things for the ball pit but it will be fixed later.

I don’t need cat tunnels because they run behind the cages and the couches/bed. But at least now they can do more of their natural behavior if needed.
73986583-9BA2-4F54-9764-0075C9A9E8A7.jpeg

F76490D9-2E6C-4CEE-AF46-58B0F226ECAF.jpeg

I’m hoping all the girls will bond with each other and that the bonding will go smootly later on. At least towards christmas I hope everyone will be bonded ☺️

A picture of Odin in the dig box, he’s the only one who have been digging and pushed the sand around. The sand I use are for children and not dusty. I’m glad I have a vacuum that can handle the sand/soil without being destroyed.

Attachments

• 4CFEE431-2BED-49F9-A5B9-08B99BC71525.jpeg
    4CFEE431-2BED-49F9-A5B9-08B99BC71525.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Say hi to Freja, she’s a netherland dwarf which turn out to be a fluffy one. The one my partner got for me. I’m not mad about him getting me a new bunny. She will be spoiled and loved either way. I will just make it work. She don’t have the dwarf gene but she’s cute either way.

I’ve fixed her insurance and I will make sure to book a time to be vaccinated. She have been eating hay and a curious girl ☺️
97BF17F1-7351-4691-A5D9-A7259FCE021A.jpeg

Say hi to Freja, she’s a netherland dwarf which turn out to be a fluffy one. The one my partner got for me. I’m not mad about him getting me a new bunny. She will be spoiled and loved either way. I will just make it work. She don’t have the dwarf gene but she’s cute either way.

I’ve fixed her insurance and I will make sure to book a time to be vaccinated. She have been eating hay and a curious girl ☺️
View attachment 62095
What cute little bun! She’s lucky to have gotten a home with you!

Now have Freja moved into her cage while Fenris is free roaming 24/7 now. Odin & Embla will get supervised free roaming as normal because of Embla still peeing up on my furniture and even done it to the wall but I noticed it fast and cleaned it up.

Freja have been pooping, peed and eaten hay. So she’s not a shy girl and I’m happy I don’t need to worry about her stomach.
4F0BD4BD-7B78-4F39-A71B-D6C2500BEC4E.jpeg
09354D9F-140D-49D4-9FD1-61FC63151752.jpeg

Little Freja stomach isn’t fully good but she’s pooped and pee. So it’s most important. I think next day she will have larger droppings.

She’s really curious, so when I was spot cleaning her cage. She came out from the hide house to watch me. Still really shy and don’t want to eat from my hand but it will change later on. I’m not stressing while Fenris had left small scattered droppings in the room which I cleaned up after her. She’s the age to scatter her droppings but she do her peeing in the litter box, so I don’t care. We are going to spay her either 2 months from now but she’s of age. She’s soon 7 months old. So far no hormonal behavior except scattering her droppings and less cuddly plus a bit more sassy. Still a lot better behaved than Odin and Embla during that ages 😂

DB29CB8A-84EE-409D-81E7-28B273EED9B3.jpeg

Today I had to take Freja out to brush her baby fur as to make sure it don’t become matted. Because I learned that the baby fur is extra fluffy. She handled it great and was really curious.

The last picture where of me when brushing out the tail, stomach and the back legs. I made sure that her head and back was in a normal arch and no trancing happened. If anyone have any tips how to better brush a long haired bunnies stomach I will gladly take tips ☺️

All my bunnies thinks it’s super warm today, so they are all laying fully stretched out and relaxing. Trying to cool themself down.
EE29303A-2732-4456-B2C5-3DE235972BE1.jpeg4BE391CE-EFD1-484E-8B1A-22E196505AC8.jpegF0A88707-DA06-4A52-BEE9-F0E55AC88760.jpeg3F389BEE-03B4-4758-878A-3A7BFB9C1E20.jpeg

Ooh those floofy feet! I bet that sore hocks won't be too much of an issue with her.
I have no advice to give you in brushing.
I am much worse than you-i get torn to shreds every time i attempt to get to either of my buns' undersides or bums.
Would you happen to know how to keep flicky feet away while brushing belly?

Ooh those floofy feet! I bet that sore hocks won't be too much of an issue with her.
I have no advice to give you in brushing.
I am much worse than you-i get torn to shreds every time i attempt to get to either of my buns' undersides or bums.
Would you happen to know how to keep flicky feet away while brushing belly?

Ouch that must hurt. The ones that need to be flipped over for grooming are really kind specially when they are busy snacking. So I’ve never had a problem. If I would try to brush Fenris or Embla on the stomach they would give me a good fight because I never trained them to be held like that and they don’t need to be used.

I know on Toste I could raise his upper body while letting his two feet standing on the ground to get to his stomach but he was a calm/docile boy which wouldn’t work on Odin or Freja. Toste where the one who always got tangled fur even though short haired.

The dig box is a success but Fenris also use it as a toilet. So when she jump in and dig, she will burrow all the urine spots and poop. Now I have the routine to go through the dig box at least twice a day to find her gifts for me.

I rather take the dig box than my carpet or bed. Today I got my water proof mattress covers and they are perfect. I regret I didn’t buy more. Because I have already thrown one into the washing machine because the second Embla was out jumping she left a huge wet spot up on the new mattress cover. Now I don’t need to do a deep cleaning of the mattress or mattress cover with this extra protection from her. She’s so fast, I didn’t even notice that she had the time to pee when she was running every where and jumping up and down. Now I was one step before her!

Attachments

• FF2C9147-7FAA-4DF7-85EA-D60B1E854384.jpeg
    FF2C9147-7FAA-4DF7-85EA-D60B1E854384.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
If I would try to brush Fenris or Embla on the stomach they would give me a good fight because I never trained them to be held like that and they don’t need to be used.
How exactly do you train them to accept it if needed?
Musti had no problem with it (my calm boy never had an issue with anything, ever.) and Lümi would just melt into me for it, but Iris is like a twisty tie that pricks and Storm has never sat still for it. I think you know a french lop's hocks in person? (If i remember right Lilja was a frenchie?) I don't want to get hit with those anymore...
If i lift him up like you did with Toste, Storm will just literally jump over my arm to make an escape or turn his face to bite me in sensitive spots. I bet that my lady would handle it a bit better.
How do you work your magic?

How exactly do you train them to accept it if needed?
Musti had no problem with it (my calm boy never had an issue with anything, ever.) and Lümi would just melt into me for it, but Iris is like a twisty tie that pricks and Storm has never sat still for it. I think you know a french lop's hocks in person? (If i remember right Lilja was a frenchie?) I don't want to get hit with those anymore...
If i lift him up like you did with Toste, Storm will just literally jump over my arm to make an escape or turn his face to bite me in sensitive spots. I bet that my lady would handle it a bit better.
How do you work your magic?
I take it slow and I know the frenchie hard kicks and nips. Lilja was a nipper more than kicker but we slowly built it up. It’s a bit like how you clicker train a dog, you break everything up in small steps and slowly build it up until you get where you want. I did that with Toste who was a previous aggressive bunny but I let it takes it time. Never stressing it and using high values treats.

So all the steps for my bunnies mean rewards. Later on I will lessen the amount of treats until fully finished. There no magic behind it.

Ooh, nice to know. I guess that it'll have to wait a bit more for me, until i can physically move out and be the only one taking care of my buns. I already got accepted into school and found a small buns-okay apartment (19m2) and a few job interviews lined up too. Hopefully that will be settled early september or october at the latest. That way i can control what goes as special treat and what is just tasty extras for them.
Best of luck with your floofy bun!

Latest posts

Back