Happy bunny life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is beautiful- can I ask what technique do you use to get them use to being held? My little boy loves pats and head rubs but there’s no way he will let me hold him to do his nails so I have to take him to the vets each time 🙄
Hi, we used to go to the vet too to get Elf’s nails trimmed. But now my daughter trims his nails, whilst I hold him. We always support his bottom with one hand and the other just firmly but comfortable around his chest. We always try to make the trimming session quick and reward Elf with a treat straight after.

Oh I once saw that a lady posted using a muslin cloth and you put the nails through it and that way you can see where to cut and not cut the fur or worse the skin.

At the moment Elf is moulting a lot and dislikes the brush or comb. So we do the same technique one holds him and the other use their hand gently to remove the undercoat fur.
I once used the furnigator which I bought online and ended up causing a bare patch on his butt. I was soo shocked and was so stressed over it. It grew back but still that traumatised
me more than it did Elf! 😆

Fenris and Freja have been bonded. They are truly cute together and they will be a lot happier having each other as friends. They are still on the neutral area until this weekend as to stabilize them even more.
DDE7D200-F625-4B1C-ACF0-AB5D2CC55626.jpeg
D3467FC8-A31C-4178-8AF8-5DF136015D5F.jpeg

Aw, how adorable! Best wishes that their bond could remain strong for years to come!

My grumpy girl have turned into a monster! She growls and attacks me, specially when I have handled one of the boys before going into my room. At least my boys have never reacted on smell of other bunnies before they was fixed.

Also her droppings don’t have the best smell right now. She’s a moody and a smelly girl. I got some nice bite marks from her.

So its time to book a spay for this month and let her get off the high wagon of hormones 😂 It was just a time question but I had hoped it wasn’t the territorial behavior she got. I would rather have the loss of litter habits but that’s what she do really well.

She have also gotten a craving of relentlessly chew things even when the cage is open she will chew the bars. I give her toys but she go for chewing bars, rubber and plastic. While wood like fresh branches, different chew toys and toilets roll go safe in my room. I can’t figure out why she pick rubber over wood. Maybe it’s hormones craving she got.
I’ve got a bonded brother and sister (1 litter apart). My girl is 12 months n boy 9. Both snipped at 7 and 4 months respectively n they are injected. Neither is dominant but he is normally a laid back coward and she is quite adventurous. If either isn’t happy they stick their head under the other one’s tummy (this makes no sense because the whole of their back end is sticking out so they are rubbish at hiding.
They live in 6ftx2ftx2ft double layer hutch which is in an 9ft square shed (we put them away at night. It is spring in U.K. and our boy is full of hormones. He is chinning everything and if we put our hands in his bedding area on a night, instead of him jumping up to play he snarls and has a right mood. He is absolutely fine during the day and when he is loose in the shed but going into his bedroom when he is asleep or sleepy is now not an option. The girl is the greedier, clever one and wouldn’t ever bite. But she has lost quite a bit of her appetite and is having the odd slightly runny tum. No diet change at all. We’ve been watching them REALLY CLOSELY in case our angry nut gets nasty with her and there’s no evidence whatsoever ever. And we are spending 15 minutes with them at least 5 or 6 times a day… and he is 1/4 bigger than him. We ve talked it over with the vet and she has said we can try them near each other but separated (this could be done quite easily), worming paste or keep watching them closely until end of may when stroppy boy might settle himself down.
Vet checked their weights. She’s 2.5kg n he’s just under 2kg lionhead crosses.
Please do you have any ideas.

I’ve got a bonded brother and sister (1 litter apart). My girl is 12 months n boy 9. Both snipped at 7 and 4 months respectively n they are injected. Neither is dominant but he is normally a laid back coward and she is quite adventurous. If either isn’t happy they stick their head under the other one’s tummy (this makes no sense because the whole of their back end is sticking out so they are rubbish at hiding.
They live in 6ftx2ftx2ft double layer hutch which is in an 9ft square shed (we put them away at night. It is spring in U.K. and our boy is full of hormones. He is chinning everything and if we put our hands in his bedding area on a night, instead of him jumping up to play he snarls and has a right mood. He is absolutely fine during the day and when he is loose in the shed but going into his bedroom when he is asleep or sleepy is now not an option. The girl is the greedier, clever one and wouldn’t ever bite. But she has lost quite a bit of her appetite and is having the odd slightly runny tum. No diet change at all. We’ve been watching them REALLY CLOSELY in case our angry nut gets nasty with her and there’s no evidence whatsoever ever. And we are spending 15 minutes with them at least 5 or 6 times a day… and he is 1/4 bigger than him. We ve talked it over with the vet and she has said we can try them near each other but separated (this could be done quite easily), worming paste or keep watching them closely until end of may when stroppy boy might settle himself down.
Vet checked their weights. She’s 2.5kg n he’s just under 2kg lionhead crosses.
Please do you have any ideas.
Why are you putting them in the hutch? Can you not just leave the hutch door open so they have the whole shed? And change bedding etc. when they are out?

Why are you putting them in the hutch? Can you not just leave the hutch door open so they have the whole shed? And change bedding etc. when they are out?
I leave them with the hutch door open from 8am until it gets dark or really cold. I have even put a roll of turf out for them. It’s just they are nosey. The shed has wooden walls with Weeney gaps in and the roof is see through so there is plenty of light (and yes we have covers for if it’s too sunny) But they don’t always choose to stay outside. I have checked with rabbit breeders and the vet what to do and how to do it as best as I can. And the moment I have the slightest worry it’s off to the vets or on the phone to the rabbit breeder. I WAS HOPING TO GET SOME ADVICE ABOUT THE GIRL RABBIT. It must put people off taking the time to ask for help if people, when they care and are trying hard, if they aren’t supported. Do girl rabbits get a bit stressed or start to nest. I am nervous about separating them unnecessarily. Because if she’s a little stressed now she might get more stressed when separated .

Last edited:
They should have access to a large (predator proof) space 24/7. Stress from being locked up can cause all sorts of problems. Check out the RWAF website, best advice on housing, diet, etc. Very important to have a good rabbit vet. Check out the list on the RWAF website. I would not separate them. Loss of appetite needs to be investigated by rabbit vet, the advice to give wormer is very odd.

They should have access to a large (predator proof) space 24/7. Stress from being locked up can cause all sorts of problems. Check out the RWAF website, best advice on housing, diet, etc. Very important to have a good rabbit vet. Check out the list on the RWAF website. I would not separate them. Loss of appetite needs to be investigated by rabbit vet, the advice to give wormer is very odd.
They have access to at least 48 ft square at all time. Then have 105ft square during the day. The shed is made of planks of wood 1 inch thick and then there is chicken wire round that. I am very careful what they eat and follow leading vet podcast guidelines. she looks happy and binkys and runs around and comes up for hugs. We spend 2 hours a day with them but she’s been a bit quieter but isn’t biting or hiding or anything obvious. We check her eyes, ears, mouth, paws and back end twice a day. No changes. We even have a rabbit first aid kit in the house and I can listen to her tum.
I thought the vet’s advice was a “bit odd” as a first line of advice, as I think Rabbit worms are rarer than in dog worms coz rabbits don’t walk the streets sniffing lampposts. Although I think my boy rabbit would love that. Dog wormers can make them poop more and give them a bit of an upset stomach. ( I have always kept dogs, and did a wee vet helper course and A level biology when I was really young) although having worms can give them an upset stomach. For dogs, vets can give them anti upset stomach meds to take with wormers if the dog isn’t well. I have cut back the pellets, they don’t get bad treats and mine love hay anyway. Although I have taken to put lots more fresh down twice a day to tempt her a bit more and I’ve put extra bottles of cool fresh water around just in case. Do spayed girl rabbits get spring fever very much. She’s not really nesting or being possessive. She’s eating cellotopes still.

They have access to at least 48 ft square at all time. Then have 105ft square during the day. The shed is made of planks of wood 1 inch thick and then there is chicken wire round that. I am very careful what they eat and follow leading vet podcast guidelines. she looks happy and binkys and runs around and comes up for hugs. We spend 2 hours a day with them but she’s been a bit quieter but isn’t biting or hiding or anything obvious. We check her eyes, ears, mouth, paws and back end twice a day. No changes. We even have a rabbit first aid kit in the house and I can listen to her tum.
I thought the vet’s advice was a “bit odd” as a first line of advice, as I think Rabbit worms are rarer than in dog worms coz rabbits don’t walk the streets sniffing lampposts. Although I think my boy rabbit would love that. Dog wormers can make them poop more and give them a bit of an upset stomach. ( I have always kept dogs, and did a wee vet helper course and A level biology when I was really young) although having worms can give them an upset stomach. For dogs, vets can give them anti upset stomach meds to take with wormers if the dog isn’t well. I have cut back the pellets, they don’t get bad treats and mine love hay anyway. Although I have taken to put lots more fresh down twice a day to tempt her a bit more and I’ve put extra bottles of cool fresh water around just in case. Do spayed girl rabbits get spring fever very much. She’s not really nesting or being possessive. She’s eating cellotopes still.

This thread is someone's personal bunny blog, so not really appropriate to be having this discussion here. Please move your conversation to your own thread in the appropriate subforum (eg. Health and Wellness).

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/how-to-post-on-the-forum.92892/

This thread is someone's personal bunny blog, so not really appropriate to be having this discussion here. Please move your conversation to your own thread in the appropriate subforum (eg. Health and Wellness).

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/how-to-post-on-the-forum.92892/
I was just worried about my rabbit and trying to get advice. I thought if I explained everything it might help. Don’t worry I ll get help elsewhere and I’m unsubscribing permanently from this site immediately.

Latest posts

Back