Happy bunny? I think so!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homework9293

Reaction score
So for about a month now I've been posting non stop on a lot of things. The main concern I had was my bunnies not coming out of their cage. Today was the first day Diva (my smallest female) was out for quite a bit.

As you can see she is well capable of getting up on the bed and doing binkies and such. The only issue now is stopping her from chewing certain things such as the wicker chair seen in the video.

Oreo (the bigger female) still hasn't come out but she sort of looks like she wants to follow Diva so I imagine it's just time still until she followers her sister.

She definitely was having fun! Some rabbits it just takes time for them to feel comfortable enough to enter your territory, which is what your room is to them. I'm sure your other bun will follow suit soon, as she continues to see her buddy feeling safe enough to come out and play.

The wicker chair is going to be a difficult one. Seen from a rabbits point of view, it's basically a big pile of twigs, just asking to be chewed by a bunny with sharp teeth meant for chewing those kind of things. You can try applying bitter pet sprays, non toxic scents like perfume(though some rabbits can be sensitive/allergic to some strong scents and if so, shouldn't be used), or rubbing a non toxic soap on it. This can sometimes work, but not always. You can try clicker training her to leave it alone, but no guarantees she won't try and chew it when your back is turned. The only other option if you don't want it chewed on, is blocking complete access to it.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bunny-proofing

Slow and steady wins the race as I always say. Glad to see her come out of her cage. Hopefully Oreo comes out of her cage soon too. To save the chair you might just have to buy a C&C cage(ill post a link below) and block it off or only let your buns use sections of your room and block them off as the chair is just asking to be munched. I use this one, it's cheap and well made. The 28 panel one is 60 bucks USD, which is about 4 feet long x 3 feet wide and 30 inches tall, converting to meters thats about 1.2 meters long x 1 meters wide x .75 meters tall. Don't remember what Canada uses and im not versed in meters haha. That would be more then enough to section off the chair or buy 2 and your buns will have more then enough room(ill post below how two look). You could even get away with one depending on the size of your room and how you use the panels, you just want it to be at least 30 inches tall so your buns wont try to jump it.
https://www.amazon.com/Tespo-Plaype...Tm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1&tag=forumyield-206x10 playpen bunny.jpg

One section looks this big, but like I said if you just made it a straight line it, you may get away with only one 28 panel set.

4x3 playpen bunny.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race as I always say. Glad to see her come out of her cage. Hopefully Oreo comes out of her cage soon too. To save the chair you might just have to buy a C&C cage(ill post a link below) and block it off or only let your buns use sections of your room and block them off as the chair is just asking to be munched. I use this one, it's cheap and well made. The 28 panel one is 60 bucks USD, which is about 4 feet long x 3 feet wide and 30 inches tall, converting to meters thats about 1.2 meters long x 1 meters wide x .75 meters tall. Don't remember what Canada uses and im not versed in meters haha. That would be more then enough to section off the chair or buy 2 and your buns will have more then enough room(ill post below how two look). You could even get away with one depending on the size of your room and how you use the panels, you just want it to be at least 30 inches tall so your buns wont try to jump it.
https://www.amazon.com/Tespo-Plaype...Tm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1&tag=forumyield-20View attachment 61471

One section looks this big, but like I said if you just made it a straight line it, you may get away with only one 28 panel set.

View attachment 61472
Is that box there for a hide? I was using one for in their cage but she started chewing the box. Google said because the box has ink on it due to it printed, it's not healthy for them to chew on.

Is that box there for a hide? I was using one for in their cage but she started chewing the box. Google said because the box has ink on it due to it printed, it's not healthy for them to chew on. Some sites will say it's safe others wont. It truly all depends on the ink type used. Most are safe. There
The box is a dig hole/chill hole when it's hot. Most ink is non-toxic do to kids nowadays. If you are worried about yours chewing use cardboard without ink. It's more so the "plastic" type ink that you need to watch out for.
"Ink is generally non-toxic on pretty much all packaging these days so you don’t have to worry too much about ink on boxes. So you don’t have to worry about those cute printed cardboard hides you’ve seen (and if you haven’t seen them, make sure to check them out later in this article!)."
https://www.thetinyherd.com/can-rab... is generally non-toxic,later in this article.

It's been asked on here and with one of the more known members doing it for over 20 years with no issue. You should be fine.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/cardboard-with-ink-on-it.76784/

The box is a dig hole/chill hole when it's hot. Most ink is non-toxic do to kids nowadays. If you are worried about yours chewing use cardboard without ink. It's more so the "plastic" type ink that you need to watch out for.
"Ink is generally non-toxic on pretty much all packaging these days so you don’t have to worry too much about ink on boxes. So you don’t have to worry about those cute printed cardboard hides you’ve seen (and if you haven’t seen them, make sure to check them out later in this article!)."
https://www.thetinyherd.com/can-rab... is generally non-toxic,later in this article.

It's been asked on here and with one of the more known members doing it for over 20 years with no issue. You should be fine.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/cardboard-with-ink-on-it.76784/
So it should be okay if I put the hide back in their cage? I wanted it in there so they could hide in it.

It's the glossy cardboard that you generally don't want to use, as some glossy cardboard is coated with plastic. And if a rabbit doesn't just shred the box but tries to consume large pieces or a large quantity, then I would recommend not letting the rabbit have access to cardboard as it could pose a gut blockage risk.

But usually most rabbits just shred it and maybe consume small bits in the process, and usually that's not ever a problem. If it is a problem or you're worried about the cardboard, a heavy duty plastic hide or wood one made from pine boards, could be used.

So it should be okay if I put the hide back in their cage? I wanted it in there so they could hide in it.
Yes it should be okay as long as there is enough room, as Jbun said though if they are consuming to much cardboard it becomes an issue. Mine im going to end up making out of wood just so it lasts longer as mine doesn't really chew it up, but as a dig spot with dirt in it, cardboard just wont last haha.

Latest posts

Back