Hand raising baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantment

Reaction score
Hey all. not sure if this is the right section, but here goes.

Four days ago, one of my rabbits had a litter of babies, her first litter. She had killed them all except for one, and would have killed this one had I not pulled it.

For the past four days I have been feeding it 2mL per feeding of goat milk replacer mixed with goat milk from one of my Nigerian dwarf mix does (richer than most store bought goat milk).

I'm going to pick up some kitten milk replacer, I just have a few questions:

Should I drop the goat milk replacer?
Should I add heavycream? (I've heard instances of baby bunnies developing diarrhea when given that in their mix???)
Also, he/she is a bit thin, should I start feeding more times per day?

If you can get it, use the Wombaroo rabbit milk replacer instead. It's costly, but with just one bunny, you won't need a whole lot. The cheapest place I have found it is from allthingsbunnies.com

If you can't find it, use Petlac Kitten milk replacement. But switch gradually, mixing the milks together during transition. The goat's milk is not good for them but switching abruptly is a shock to their system. until you can get them back on the mother's milk, you have to feed very often, about every two - four hours.

Also, remember you have to potty them because they cannot go to the bathroom on their own. Use a cotton ball or a tissue to lightly stroke and stimulate their private area.

For the baby to survive, you really must have the mother's milk. I understand you cannot leave the baby with her unsupervised. Do you have a second person who can assist you? First-time mothers sometimes need training and assistance.

You should get a cardboard box and cut the sides down a bit. Place the mother in the box and then hold her still. Put the baby to her side/tummy and let it nurse. hold the mother securely and be especially careful of her back legs and of her nipping with her mouth. If you must, hold her by her ears to ensure she doesn't move around. I hate doing that but sometimes it's the only way to keep them still, especially if it's just you doing it. If an assistant can protect the baby by cupping hands around it so the mother can't kick it, much better. if her milk has dried out it may take a few days of nursing for it to come back in, but the mother's milk is absolutely vital. It will be difficult at first but will become easier as the mother adjusts.

Last edited:
If you can get it, use the Wombaroo rabbit milk replacer instead. It's costly, but with just one bunny, you won't need a whole lot. The cheapest place I have found it is from allthingsbunnies.com

If you can't find it, use Petlac Kitten milk replacement. But switch gradually, mixing the milks together during transition. The goat's milk is not good for them but switching abruptly is a shock to their system. until you can get them back on the mother's milk, you have to feed very often, about every two - four hours.

Also, remember you have to potty them because they cannot go to the bathroom on their own. Use a cotton ball or a tissue to lightly stroke and stimulate their private area.

For the baby to survive, you really must have the mother's milk. I understand you cannot leave the baby with her unsupervised. Do you have a second person who can assist you? First-time mothers sometimes need training and assistance.

You should get a cardboard box and cut the sides down a bit. Place the mother in the box and then hold her still. Put the baby to her side/tummy and let it nurse. hold the mother securely and be especially careful of her back legs and of her nipping with her mouth. If you must, hold her by her ears to ensure she doesn't move around. I hate doing that but sometimes it's the only way to keep them still, especially if it's just you doing it. If an assistant can protect the baby by cupping hands around it so the mother can't kick it, much better. if her milk has dried out it may take a few days of nursing for it to come back in, but the mother's milk is absolutely vital. It will be difficult at first but will become easier as the mother adjusts.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me with the doe. I'm a bit afraid to attempt to restrain her, as she's very skittish, and will kick hard if attempted to be handled in any way. It's not so much myself that I'm worried about, just her managing to kick the baby.

I did manage to get some kitten milk replacer, and begun transitioning him/her.

Yes, I have been stimulating the kit to go to the bathroom.

Last edited:
Hypothetically if the kit does survive to the age of beginning to try solid food, is it possible to substitute guinea pig cecotropes? My rabbits are kept outside, and collection would be very difficult

Latest posts

Back