Hamster or Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smile414

Reaction score
Hi there. I know this probably isn’t the best place to ask since opinions might be biased since after all this is a rabbit forum. However, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve been thinking about getting either a rabbit or a Hamster. Which one would you think is better?

Depends on what kind of home you can give and provide ☺

Do you have the space, are you ready to take care of a pet for a long time, how’s your economy and plans for the future. Important questions to think and see if a bunny will fit your household.

A rabbit is a long time commitment and need a lot more space than a hamster 😊

Hi, based on your previous comments I would suggest hamster would be much easier and you won't need to rabbit-proof your house and food/hay/litter everything will me much more affordable with a hamster, rabbit will require more time and attention and will change your lifestyle dramatically, and rabbits can live up to 10-14 years if you take good care of them so it's much more responsibility. If you are 13 now think what changes you will have when you go to college in a few years and you won't be able to take your rabbit with you if you will be living in a dorm, landlords also can be sceptical since rabbit can cause lots of damage to their property by chewing walls and furniture

So if you need to choose between a rabbit and a hamster, go with a hamster, at least for now.

Last edited:
A hamster can be a good choice! I'd suggest a syrian (teddy bear) hamster. They are a bit bigger than the dwarf ones and are generally more easy to handle.

You can check this forum on hamster care:
http://www.hamstercentral.com/

Thanks lol, however I’m already on a forum. I find hamsters cute, however they aren’t really an interaction pet, it’s more like a watching one, rabbits can be pet but rabbits are expensive. So that’s why I’m stuck in between the two.

Bunnies aren’t that much interaction pets really, it all depend on the personality, I would say it’s the same with hamsters.

One of my bunnies I only see him when he jump on my head in the morning. Rest of the time I have no idea what he’s doing and sleeping under my bed. Trying to pet him and he run the other way, that’s just a few of the things he can do 😂

I would say hamster fit you better, bunnies can be expensive pets and as a owner you should be ready to pay for it.

If you get the right hamster, they will interact with you. If you decide to get one, try interacting (holding) different ones to see which seems to respond well to you.

1592413683837.png

Rabbits definitely can be quite difficult for first pets. My first pet was a fish but when I was 5 or 6, I got a hamster. He lived for three years, and died when I was 8. By then, I loved hamsters so much that I got another one when he passed away. That hamster died three years after that. When I was 11, and then I got a rabbit, a year later.

I loved my hamster. He was cheap, he didn’t need to go to the vet (although I did have a vet for him). I fed him, interacted with him, and cleaned his pen.

Rabbits, however, were another story. They were expensive, needed a lot of space, and are ‘little balls’ of trouble as my older brother calls my rabbit, after he snuck into his room and severed the wire to his tv. I’m 13, and yes, I do own a rabbit. I pay for a majority of his things, aside from his vet bills, which my parents pay for. Rabbit proofing my room was easy and fairly cheap. But vet bills can be a pain and are so expensive.

Do some research on both pets, and decide which one works best 🥰

Attachments

• E717256F-23E8-4FFE-BE98-929A1802A413.jpeg
    E717256F-23E8-4FFE-BE98-929A1802A413.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
I have owned a hamster before and I think there are important and big differences between these two pets.

Most hamsters are night active, meaning during the day the will sleep and also need to sleep. So if you are a morning person that would be a very big down point for a hamster! Also because they are awake during the night - they will be loud.

Hamsters use little space and don’t need to be cleaned that often - means it will also be less expensive and also easier to clean space wise.

You can’t really let a hamster free roam as they are so very tiny. You can touch them but they won’t be really cuddly and so attached like a rabbit. Some rabbits but not all can become almost like a dog, very tame and follow you wherever you go.

Hamsters only live as short as two years with a rabbit you are stuck for at least 6-14 years.

Rabbits are more day active, they sleep 10 hours in 24 hours but most at night.

Good luck with your decision
Eve

Hi, There's a lot of great answers here. This little sweetie is my Matilda. She is a true joy to me and, out of all my animals in the house (and there's a lot lol), I really have a soft spot for this little one. I highly recommend a Syrian. Matilda is a creature of habit; she likes her cage (a Prevue or larger.....) to be just so and she is always awake promptly at 8 pm and asleep again by 5 am. She is out with me either in her pet playpen or on my couch, chair, etc for about an hour or so before I go to bed and if she wakes up and I don't have a treat in her meal with lettuce, carrot, etc, she throws a tantrum by re-arranging her furniture.

She requires very little time and energy per day and her cage is easy to change. Not too much because they sleep furrowed in their bedding and don't like it changed much. I find around 3 weeks or so but spot cleaning. Very little is required.

It's very good that you are doing this research and even these little ones require some research for the proper toys, cage, etc. Here in the US, there are more limits to proper cages but I find mine on amazon as they also have contracts with the UK, etc. Barney cages are the best but difficult right now to come by so at least the size of a prevue for a little one like Matilda. She uses every tiny part and then some.

I think you get from any pet what you put into them. My bunny is part of our home and he owns it and our other animals. He is free roam but also has his own caged off area for over night and when he's being a monster. He's getting neutered this week so he's been a bit more of a monster then usual lol. Bunnies are quite a bit more maintenance, money and time but they do give you a lot back. However, he's part of our family and we all help take care of him; he's literally a part of our chihuahua pack and does demand the same attention with the chihuahuas. I would even say guinea pigs (in pairs) while still money and maintenance, are less work then a bunny.

Good luck!

matilda.jpgmatilda2.jpgmirror.jpg

Hi there. I know this probably isn’t the best place to ask since opinions might be biased since after all this is a rabbit forum. However, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve been thinking about getting either a rabbit or a Hamster. Which one would you think is better?
It all depends what you want. But if I would get one it would be a rabbit.
Hamsters sleep a lot in the day and awake at night. :)
and rabbits are awake in the day but they do take some naps in the day.
Have a great day. 💓

Rabbits definitely can be quite difficult for first pets. My first pet was a fish but when I was 5 or 6, I got a hamster. He lived for three years, and died when I was 8. By then, I loved hamsters so much that I got another one when he passed away. That hamster died three years after that. When I was 11, and then I got a rabbit, a year later.

I loved my hamster. He was cheap, he didn’t need to go to the vet (although I did have a vet for him). I fed him, interacted with him, and cleaned his pen.

Rabbits, however, were another story. They were expensive, needed a lot of space, and are ‘little balls’ of trouble as my older brother calls my rabbit, after he snuck into his room and severed the wire to his tv. I’m 13, and yes, I do own a rabbit. I pay for a majority of his things, aside from his vet bills, which my parents pay for. Rabbit proofing my room was easy and fairly cheap. But vet bills can be a pain and are so expensive.

Do some research on both pets, and decide which one works best 🥰

Hi there, I have had a pet before which was a goldfish lol. I love rabbits with all my heart, however I’ve found that they are really expensive. And I’m usually away the whole day since I have lots of after school activities which mean I’m back at home at around 5. Of course now I’m home a lot since it’s quarantine. But Once that’s over I might not be able to spend much time. Which is why I’ve been considering hamsters... I’m still caught in between the two 😂 . But rabbits need a lot of hay, and hay is really expensive around where I live since there aren’t many farms. I’ve researched a lot about both but I’m still stuck lol.

Hi there, I have had a pet before which was a goldfish lol. I love rabbits with all my heart, however I’ve found that they are really expensive. And I’m usually away the whole day since I have lots of after school activities which mean I’m back at home at around 5. Of course now I’m home a lot since it’s quarantine. But Once that’s over I might not be able to spend much time. Which is why I’ve been considering hamsters... I’m still caught in between the two 😂 . But rabbits need a lot of hay, and hay is really expensive around where I live since there aren’t many farms. I’ve researched a lot about both but I’m still stuck lol.
I am really impressed with all research you've done before getting a rabbit, I think you are a very responsible person and will take a great care of your pet. :)

Matilda from previous post looks very intelligent and I have to agree you get what you invest into your pet, we had a hamster in my family as well, her name was Margo and she was very cool and funny, she stuffed food in her chicks and first time I saw it I thought she's got sick because it was only on one side so was a huge lump I've got really scared 🤣

That doesn’t sound too bad to me. I’m homeschooled so I’m with my rabbit most the day (though I also do many extra curriculars) but I’m sure he wishes that I wasn’t.
He mainly sleeps and eats from around 10am - 5pm.
Rabbits do make good pets for people who are busy during the day but are still going to take the time with them when they’re home.
I live in London, and there aren’t many farms near me so I order hay online. Generally, I pay for his food and toys, and maintenance things, and my mum pays for vet bills.
As long as you’re dedicated (and have the money) to look after a rabbit, I say go for it.
You of course will be the one to make the final decision, so if you think that you’re ready and educated enough to have a rabbit, do it.

I honestly would get every animal if I could, whether it be bird, hamster, rabbit, dog, mountain lion 🤣

Also, remember Doris the Rat from Home Alone 3? I can't post any video now but go on youtube and search for it :)
We had a white rat as well, they are very intelligent creature as well.

I am really impressed with all research you've done before getting a rabbit, I think you are a very responsible person and will take a great care of your pet. :)

Matilda from previous post looks very intelligent and I have to agree you get what you invest into your pet, we had a hamster in my family as well, her name was Margo and she was very cool and funny, she stuffed food in her chicks and first time I saw it I thought she's got sick because it was only on one side so was a huge lump I've got really scared 🤣

Thanks! Unfortunately my parents don’t think I’m responsible. So the chance of getting a rabbit is lower than getting a hamster. However I’ll still give it a shot. Thanks! I’m still worrying about what’ll happen to the rabbit when I go to college, since they do live long.

Considering your situation I would recommend a pair of Guinea Pigs! They are a great cross between the two as they are low(er)-maintenance and quite friendly as well!
But, if your family is okay with it, a pair or trio of ratties will be wonderful! But considering the fact that most parents are deathly afraid and disgusted at rats (which they don't deserve!) it is more likely a pair of Guinea Pigs will be better pet. But if your parents are ok with rats then you definitely should! They are even lower maintenance and are just as intelligent and friendly! Keep in mind though that they are both highly social animals and should always have a friend!
If you are going to get Guinea Pigs then I highly recommend this cage! Amazon.com : AmazonBasics Indoor-Outdoor Small Pet Habitat Cage with Canvas Bottom, Black : Pet Supplies
1592516702892.png
It is pretty much the same thing as a Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat but is nearly half the price and is perfect for two pigs!
Hope the info helps!

It sounds like you are willing to do the research and are putting some great thought into this. I agree that a hamster may be a better choice of the two options given your schedule and the important question of the direction life will take you!

However, have you considered two rats? I've talked to a lot of folks who have found rats to be affectionate, cuddly, loving, and hilarious to watch. Hamsters and guinea pigs tend to make me nervous ( they are so small and I always worry at how nervous they are) but most rats I've met are love bugs and do really well in a bonded pair. They also tend to be less anxious than other hamsters and guinea pigs I've met!

It doesn't hurt that they are adorable!

It sounds like you are willing to do the research and are putting some great thought into this. I agree that a hamster may be a better choice of the two options given your schedule and the important question of the direction life will take you!

However, have you considered two rats? I've talked to a lot of folks who have found rats to be affectionate, cuddly, loving, and hilarious to watch. Hamsters and guinea pigs tend to make me nervous ( they are so small and I always worry at how nervous they are) but most rats I've met are love bugs and do really well in a bonded pair. They also tend to be less anxious than other hamsters and guinea pigs I've met!

It doesn't hurt that they are adorable!

I know. However my parents still think rats carry the plague😒 and all rats are disgusting and carry diseases. Lol yeah

Latest posts

Back