Hamster babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
OMG my new female hamster I bought gave birth to 6 babies, she is being a brilliant momma, There all nice and plump, No wonder the woman in petmania gave her to me for half price lol, I still love the little girl! Anyway I had full intentions of breeding her in the next few weeks anyway so I don't really mind that she had the babies, I just love them.

Pics please! My son Benn had a hamster some years back - her name was Buffy as he loved the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series.

Denise

When you can touch them, post pics. Am I remembering correctly, if you touch a nest of newborn hamsters, the mom can destroy the nest and babies?

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
When you can touch them, post pics. Am I remembering correctly, if you touch a nest of newborn hamsters, the mom can destroy the nest and babies?

Denise
Well that is what I am going by, and I haven't touched the babies or the nest and everyone is alive, I saw when they open there eyes I can start touching them, Am I right or wrong?

You don't have to touch them to take a picture. I mean theoretically you are touching them by hitting them with photons but I'm pretty sure your hamster isn't smart enough to know that.

Though if she's smart enough to know that you could debate to her that she caused them to become particles by observing them.

Just take a picture of the nest with the babies in it, you don't even have to disturb it.

Saudade wrote:
You don't have to touch them to take a picture. I mean theoretically you are touching them by hitting them with photons but I'm pretty sure your hamster isn't smart enough to know that.

Though if she's smart enough to know that you could debate to her that she caused them to become particles by observing them.

Just take a picture of the nest with the babies in it, you don't even have to disturb it.
There is a level over the nest so there is poor lighting and it would be very hard to get a camera into the cage and in the right angle to capture the nest and babies!

Flash.

I resently got 3 Campbell's Dwarf hamsters. Hoping for babies in the next few months :) Blue male, dark eyed white female and a molted argentina or whatever female that looked like a callie when I got her :/ Had to sneek them into the hotel with Bugs, chocolate dutch rabbit. So glad we where not caught.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Flash.

I resently got 3 Campbell's Dwarf hamsters. Hoping for babies in the next few months :) Blue male, dark eyed white female and a molted argentina or whatever female that looked like a callie when I got her :/ Had to sneek them into the hotel with Bugs, chocolate dutch rabbit. So glad we where not caught.
From my experience there quite a viscous breed of hamster, Correct me if I'm wrong? Oh and Momma hamster is so smart, She only leaves the babies once a day just to collect her food, Then she doesn't Just put it down next to her nest she puts it in the layers of wool and bedding so even if there feeding off her she just got to root around in it and she got some food, It sounds simple but the way she does it is super smart, You have to see it!

What type of hamster is momma? It is true, it will be fine to touch them when their eyes are open but I would recommend handling them when they start moving around away from the nest before they open their eyes. They are hard to tame and daily handling before they open their eyes will be easier. Baby hamsters are fast once they can see where they're going!!

pocketsizedrhino wrote:
What type of hamster is momma? It is true, it will be fine to touch them when their eyes are open but I would recommend handling them when they start moving around away from the nest before they open their eyes. They are hard to tame and daily handling before they open their eyes will be easier. Baby hamsters are fast once they can see where they're going!!
She is a teddybear hamster, The babies haven't opened there eyes but there eatting mommas food.

No such species as teddybear, it is Syrian. Teddybear, blackbear, panda, fancy, ect are all names petstores give Syrians so they can vary the prices.

The reason Dwarfs get that persona is because they have shorter memories than Syrians. Dwarfs have to be handled often from birth to stay tame, Syrians can be handled, on adverage once a week or so and be fine.

Yep, she's a syrian.
You'll have to house everyone separately when they grow up. Syrians will kill each other. There is a small chance the females will get along but in my experience working at a pet store they all end tearing each other up.

Yeah I know teddybear isn't a breed of hamster(but breed was never asked, the question was what type of hamster). but it is a sub-group of the syrian, so there is nothing wrong with me saying they are teddybears!

Oh and I know that they can't be housed together when there older, think I would have a total of 4 adult syrians if I housed them together!

Witch in turn leads to the dwarfs being far more vicious very few 7 year old children are going to No they have a shorter memory now are they?

Hamsters have no breeds, only species. There is longhair and shorthair Syrians, no teddybear "sub-group".

Seven year olds should not be given the responsibility of caring for a pet, no matter the species or size. The reason some types of animals are said to be vicious is because of kids torchering them. A pet should be handled often, not looked at once a week for feeding and watering, and touched maybe once a month for cage cleaning. That is not how a pet works.

Hamsters, like rabbits, are not cuddle animals. Some may be but most are not. They are not a pet for a seven year old, heck, a seven year old should not have pets. The parents have animals and the child plays with them, they should not care for them.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Hamsters have no breeds, only species. There is longhair and shorthair Syrians, no teddybear "sub-group".

Seven year olds should not be given the responsibility of caring for a pet, no matter the species or size. The reason some types of animals are said to be vicious is because of kids torchering them. A pet should be handled often, not looked at once a week for feeding and watering, and touched maybe once a month for cage cleaning. That is not how a pet works.

Hamsters, like rabbits, are not cuddle animals. Some may be but most are not. They are not a pet for a seven year old, heck, a seven year old should not have pets. The parents have animals and the child plays with them, they should not care for them.
I've kept hamsters since I was 7 and the shortest any of my hamsters has ever lived was 2yrs so I don't see how a 7 yr old child can't handle caring for a hamster?

Sorry I class the words Breed and species the same meaning?

I had my first hamsters when I was 8, although I cared for them my mom and dad made sure I was doing it. Yes, some children are capable of doing it, but most are not. They want a pet and then get tired of it, just like a toy. A parent should not get a pet for a child and expect them to care for it.

"so I don't see how a 7 yr old child can't handle caring for a hamster?"

Well, as you said "how is a seven year old suppose to know dwarfs have shorter memories?" How is a 7 year old suppose to know if the hamster is sick? How are they suppose to do proper research on caring for the animal to know how properly to feed them? House them?

"Sorry I class the words Breed and species the same meaning?"

Species and breed are two totally diffrent things. Rabbits have both diffrent species and breeds. Hamsters have only species, meaning they have diffrent numbers of chromosome. The only domesticated types of hamster that can breed are Campbell's Dwarfs and Winter Whites, however if bred the babies are almost always sterile.

Latest posts

Back