Hairballs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyFofo

Reaction score
I have questions about treating a long haired bunny for fur balls. I have a really poofy Fuzzy lop.

If the rabbit is eating hay, should he still get extratreatment for hairballs? Like a maintenance treatment? Should I begiving him cat hair ball medicine once a week or so?

If, not what should i do to help him not get fur balls?

Also, I keep reading about Papya drops? What are those for?

How about Nutrical? Should that only be given for injury, lack of appitite, ect..?

Thank you,

Bunny Fufu

The most important thing is brushing, especiallywhile shedding, and a high fiber diet with limited sugar. Sugar is notgood for the GI tract.

Although I am not sure about papaya, it used to be the thought thatpineapple would work but recently we have decided it is not true (astested by members on the forum). Instead, most of us feed unsweetedcanned pumpkin. It's very high in fiber which is great for the GI tractand helps pass hair.

I've never heard of anyone giving cat hairball meds either. I wouldn't give to my rabbits to be honest.

Hay is nature's scrub brush and the best way to keep the GI tract healthy and to keep hair moving through and out.

The enzymes in papaya or pineapple do not digest hair or prevent wool block.

Nutri Cal is good for treating lack of appetite or GI stasis, but not to use as a wool block preventative.

Most cat hairball meds. contain a lot of "vaseline". This hasnot been proven to help prevent wool block and may make matters worsein cases of wool block - don't use it.

Pam

:yeahthat

The oil in cat hairball treatments coats the mass, which is thought tomake it easier to pass. But it also prevents water fromgetting into the mass, which would help break it up into smaller, moremanagable pieces. (That's why hydration is so important.)

The best preventative is lots of hay 24/7, and encourage them to eat itby offering different varieties and putting hay in toys. Highfiber pellets are also important. Also, I've found that whenmy buns start getting "strings of pearls" or several poops strungtogether with fur, feeding canned pumpkin helps get the poops morenormal. Canned pumpkin has a little fiber, but the importantthing that it does is help get more water into the digestivesystem. More water=less blockage problems.

Thank you every one, I appreciate the replies! Good to know this stuff for my rabbits care!

Many thanks,

Liz & Fufu

You've gotten some great replies - I just wantto add as a breeder of lionheads (and my daughter owns a fuzzy loptoo)...that brushing is really REALLY important. We rarely havehairballs (knock on wood) due to lots of brushing and lots of hay.

I really like brushing the rabbits because I feel like it gives me some"one on one" time with them....and I try to give them a treat so theylook forward to it also.

Peg

Latest posts

Back