Hair pulling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Has anyone had a male pull their tummy hair before? Sometime in this past week, Bo has pulled the hair above his pwivates.... just a little patch. I'm thinking he was in pain or couldn't groom something or maybe it's just a bad molt and he's bald but he's never molted like that on his tummy.

He seems fine but I'm such a worry-wart when it comes to him.

Is there any scaliness or redness to the bald patch?

If not, its probably just a spot he is molting out. It's not uncommon for them to have bald patches during a heavy molt.

Nope, just pink skin.

When I washed his bottom and all around there.... hair flew out - I wonder if that was loose and just came out then? His tummy is losing hair.

I think Dill did this, too. He had some very weird hair-loss patterns!

As noted before, just keep a close eye on him in case he's picked up a flea. Dill only shed like that once, which I still find odd.

Bo doesn't lookoverweight by Pam's definition(pear-shape= good/ apple-with-a-head= bad), but I haveseen chubby bunnies trying to clean their butts pull at their lower tummies instead because that's as far as they can reach. In those cases, it's time to cut out the craisins. ;)

Poor little guy can't be all that comfortable with all that hair floating around. It made Dill pretty cranky.

Nose pats for Bo! :pet:

sas :)

Bo has so much fur but if you feel under it - he's really not fat. He does have some loose areas tho..... where he was overweight..... :whistlingHowever, I think he has a hard time reaching all the way sometimes - he can get to his cecals and stuff but his tail base can get a bit dirty sometimes.

I wonder about the flea also. I'm sure it would be very possible with Sydney and Tank running around. I'll look them over too.

a lion headed male i was fostering did this for about 3 weeks and then stopped!

i never did figure out why!

the vet said sometimes they will frenzy clean and pull it out... I dunno.

Thanks! I wondered if maybe it had to do with not being able to clean himself as well as he would like (his scent glands are always my job! ewww)

Hi,

Don't discount a possible urinary infeciton. Bladdersludge can cause some urine leakage that might not be enough to make the areawet but the acid can cause some irritation. And, itmay also be intestinal parasites. Might be a good idea to get a flashlight and check his rear end areaduring the night. I prefer not to post the details of this issue here since it is rather gross sounding...but PM me and I will explain. And just wondering....what does he do with the fur once he pulls it out? Does he eat it? Reason I ask is that we have seen some buns with a neurological issue that seems to be related to a chemical imbalance in the brain. The ones we have seen usually pull fur from either low on their stomach or from their sides and then eat it. You can only imagine what other issues that brings up. Just looking for some more info onthischemical imbalance issue.

Randy

I wondered about that. I've watched him and he seems to be peeing fine - especially marking some territory over Heidi! :X

Latest posts

Back