Hair on eye lids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know what to do if hair around the top eye lid is growing downwards?

Since I noticed my boys eyes have had a little discharge.

I feel like it needs a trim.

Any thoughts?

If it's just the fur above the eye and not the eyelid/eyelash, trimming it may work. Though it's something that needs to be done very carefully and with blunt tip scissors. Though if in doubt, best to not risk potential injury and have a good rabbit vet do the trimming.

If it's the eyelid/eyelash, I would try plain saline eye drops (eg natural tears), to see if gently flushing the eye out maybe corrects the problem lash somehow. But if not, best thing is to have an experienced rabbit vet take a look at it. Trimming the eyelash won't fix it in the long run, since it will just grow back in. Plus trying to trim so near the eye is a huge risk.

https://rabbit.org/2011/01/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/
If it's causing ongoing irritation to the eye, this could potentially scratch the cornea and cause a corneal ulcer. So it's definitely something that should get checked out.

Medirabbit: corneal abrasion and ulcer

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Hello, does anyone know what to do if hair around the top eye lid is growing downwards?

Since I noticed my boys eyes have had a little discharge.

I feel like it needs a trim.

Any thoughts?
My rabbit had entropion which is the curling in of the top and bottom eyelids. We fought infections all the time. He had to have surgery to remove the lashes. It was so painful. This was before surgery. He's several months old here. The second picture is after surgery. Looks like an eyelift. The cone was the worst part.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-161245.png
    Screenshot_20220303-161245.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220522-132032.png
    Screenshot_20220522-132032.png
    764.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022-10-13_144802.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-13_144802.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 0
My rabbit had entropion which is the curling in of the top and bottom eyelids. We fought infections all the time. He had to have surgery to remove the lashes. It was so painful. This was before surgery. He's several months old here. The second picture is after surgery. Looks like an eyelift. The cone was the worst part.
Bugsy is doing great now. He has lost some vision in both eyes due to an ulcer and clouding effect. But we're so happy we were able to get the surgery for him. I hope your bunny is doing ok.

Latest posts

Back