Hair Loss?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schell86

Reaction score
Hi,
My Lionshead rabbit came over to me this evening as I was feeding him for a rare head scratch. He is very skittish and does not often let people close-only when its his idea. Anyways, while rubbing his head I noticed his fur seemed a little thin. Pushed back his fur and realized that its not thin, its covering a large bald patch! At one end of the patch is a bit of a scratch with a scab on it. The patch goes from the base of his neck to about his shoulders. On closer inspection I can see a bit of white fuzz as though the fur is trying to come back. I managed to get some neosporin on the scabbed area but I am concerned about the cause.
My dog has had some problems with fleas off and on this summer, but I do not see any signs of fleas on Einstein. I used a lemon water spray in the pet areas and on the pets to try and repel fleas. That was used a month and a half ago and Einstein only got a slight spritz as I was spraying around the cage. Even though I don't see any fleas or poop on Einstein could this be the cause of the hair loss?
Einstiens hair tends to get matted and I can only cut the mats out either when he lets me pet/groom him (rare) or if we wrap him in a towel and force the issue (try to avoid unless we are doing nails). My fiance thinks it is just from mattes being pulled out. I think its a rather large area to have been caused by mattes.
Also, I have noticed he has been shedding a ton this summer. I vacuum every week but there is always a layer of fur surrounding the cage.
Sorry this is so long, and thank you for reading. I know only a vet can diagnose him, but if this is something that will resolve itself or if there is something I can do to help, I'd rather not take him in. I am his second home, I don't know what happened at the first but it is rare he will allow people close. I'd hate to stress him out even more if its not necessary.

I would keep an eye on him but wouldn't necessarily be too upset. Rabbits that are in molts can have temporary bald spots and patches that are just part of the process. I would keep an eye on the scratch and applying Neosporin was fine.
I have several rabbits right now who are seriously molting and if I did not know rabbits I would think there was something abnormal because they look so ratty.

It could be just a molt, could be a mat or could be sme kind of parasite. At this point I'd probably just keep an eye on it.

In general, I don't recommend pet store flea control. Most of the brands sold in pet stores aren't tested or have ingredients that once worked but that parasites have developed resistance to. Some (Hartz brand is notorious for this) are known to be harmful to animals.

And for future reference when selecting a parasiticide, frontline (fipronil) is known to be toxic to rabbits. Advantage is usually a safe choice although Revolution is my personal favorite as it also coveres mites and ticks (but you must get it from a vet.)

It could be fur mites. Sounds like what happened to my Skyler a few months ago. I noticed a bald patch with a white powdery substance at the base of his neck, between his shoulders. Vet visit. I was given an antibiotic cream to put on it. No improvement in 2 weeks. So, got a shot of Ivermectin and it quickly cleared up. I could see the new fur growth within days. How Skyler got fur mites is a mystery. He's never outside or around other animals. So, if you don't see an improvement soon, vet visit.

Latest posts

Back