Hair Loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holland_Lop

Reaction score
My male holland lop is almosta year, this is the first summer that Ive had with him...and thought that he was shedding because of the heat. For a month now I have been grooming him on a regular basis because i noticed chunks of hair falling out around his tail. EverytimeI brush him I manage to brush out atleast two heaping hands worth of hair. On top of that I am constantly cleaning his fur off of his blankets and my clothes. He is losing a lot of hair, but there is no noticeable bald spots of any kind. His coat is still shiny and extremely soft. He is playing, eating, and laying around as normal. I am just concerned about the amount of hair, and if I groomed him for hours I am sure that i would continue to brush out more and more hair. It's really incredible.

ive heard that rabbits can lose hair when they are depressed, bored, and malnourished..however he gets a lot of attention from myself and the family, atleast of 3-4 hours a day out of his cage for play time, and he has a huge NIC cage filled with toys and tunnels. He eats a huge salad of parsley, cilantro, romaine, dill, collard greens..etc..constantly mixing it up for him..and a small amount of pellets a day..unlimited hay..basically a full complete diet. I keep an AC on even when i am not home..so that he has a cool room and is comfortable. The third floor of his cage is by the window, so he lays in the sun and has plenty of fresh air when it is cool outside..

If anyone has an idea of why he is shedding such an incredible amount that'd be greatly appreciated!

It seems to me that he's just molting.

My dutch, Sabriel has been molting since I started bonding him and my other bun. (That's not the reason, that's just the time frame). It's been over a month, and he's still losing fur.

To me, it seems nothing to worry about.. but I'll let an expert come and confirm XD

Hang in there, Meredith! When bunnies molt, it could be a while and the bunny fur floats around everywhere! Two of my buns have been molting pretty heavily about 2 months now, one just finished. When my dwarf bunny was about to turn one year old, he molted for 8 months straight. I thought he would never stop (some bunnies molt, then shed, then molt again, making it look like they just never stop!). He finally did stop and now he's really fluffy. When I pet him, no fur comes off at all. He's hanging on to his coat really well! Sometimes it varies by the bun how heavily they molt, and for how long.

Our loppy girl Zoe started to moult about7 days ago...
All of a sudden she was losingCLUMPS of fur...but only down the middle of her back!

I checked her over very carefully and the skin is perfect...it just looks like a really horrible moult!:(

Unfortunately, she is black and the skin underneath is white...so we are now the proud owners of a lop earred skunk! It looks even odder now...because the new fur is trying to catch up with the moult...so there is a black stripe in the very middle...poor Zoe!

Danielle:)

Latest posts

Back