Hair Loss? Sore Hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire Zaidel

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my rabbit seems to be throwing me all kinds of curveballs recently! Just for some background: Georgia is the first rabbit I've had as an adult. She's a bit older but since I just rescued her two years ago, I'm not sure about exact age (maybe six?). I just had her at the vet for a wellness exam in January and she was totally fine. Neither of these two issues were present then so they sort of all came at once.
To start, she has a pretty decent bald patch near her back hindquarter. It's hidden by a lot of fur but I just found it while petting her today. I've attached a picture. She only has this one spot on her - everywhere else is normal. I've driven myself crazy thinking it could be mites, but I can't think of any way she would possibly contract them. I would also think if she had mites, it would transfer to my other pets? I don't have another rabbit but she and my cat get along fairly well and he's fine.

Secondly, her hocks seem to be getting sores on them. They're a little red and look like they're starting to get a bit scabby and I don't want it to get worse. I have her on soft flooring that 'gives' when she walks as well as a super comfy dog bed. Absolutely no wire or super hard flooring. It just seems to be getting worse even though I thought I checked off everything I could to somehow relieve the pressure. My other rabbit-owning friends can't seem to figure out why she's getting worse either so I figured I'd add this question as well. Is there a treatment I can use to maybe help at all?

I just figured since I took her to the vet recently that I might as well see if there are ways I can treat this myself and get other opinions instead of just making another vet appointment right away.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20200225_012120.jpg
    20200225_012120.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 8
Sometimes fleece and super soft things can make it worse. I would try putting her on some harder ground. If that doesn't work you can try a treatment that you can find articles and youtube videos on.

Latest posts

Back