Hair and brushing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
we have a lionhead and a long haired lionhead cross. Every morning, they leave hair all over their water dishes. Every time they groom themselves, i worry about hair ingestion and GI problems. Have tried a comb and a cat brush but i never get much hair from doing that. How do people groom their bunnies and how often, to prevent problems? Thank you.

If the water dishes are cleaned out daily and the bunnies are eating plenty of hay, it shouldn't be a concern. They probably ingest more fur from grooming themselves.

Have you tried the HairBuster Comb? That works well. Others find petting them with a damp hand is more effective.

Will look for a Hairbuster comb. I just worry about them ingesting hair (our cats are always puking hairballs but rabbits cant rid themselves of ingested hair i understand).

Correct that rabbits can't vomit. That's why the hay is so important. It keeps everything moving through the gut (including hair). During a shed, you may notice their poos strung together almost like pearls. That's from the ingested hair and is a sign to encourage even more hay eating.

Latest posts

Back