Had to take Clover to the vets this morning!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsterz09

Reaction score
Hey all, I went out this morn to clean out the hutches and when I got to Fiver and Clovers hutch, I went to clean out the 2cd level and Clover was lying in the way, usually she'll move out of my way but, will try to attack/play with the brush and pan, today though she stayed lying down and I had to pick her up before she moved down to the bottom level where she lay down again, now as this was unusual behaviour for her I brought her in to check her over, she still tried to lay down on her side and started trying to shove the towel she was on under her, this made me wonder if she may have bloat, her stomach did feel a bit bloated, so I booked her in the vets and took her down, where our great vet confirmed she had a mild case of bloat (she was still drinking at the time, I didn't know if she was eating as I was going to feed them after cleaning and I wanted to get her down there asap, as the vets close at midday). He gave her a shot of painkillers and a digestive inducing shot, and gave me a fibre paste to give her 3 times a day and a recovery pack just in case she got worse. Though once she had the injections she perked up a bit and was havng a fun time trashing her carry case on the drive home lol! I gave her a dose of the fibre paste when we got back and put her back in the hutch with Fiver, where she had some food which made me happy, It couldn't of come at a better time though as out cat Max was at the vets only yesterday because he has a ulcer on his eye, so now we are having to medicate two animals! and our tv broke yesterday too! Talk about everything happening at once!

Just for the record, there's a difference between what we refer to as 'gas' and 'bloat' on this board. I'm not sure how they differentiate between the two in the U.K..

Bloat is deadly serious. It's a sudden onset of gas where the stomach gets very distended, the rabbit is cold (the body temperature drops), lethargic, hunched up in a 'loaf' position and in terrible pain signaled by loud tooth grinding. It's often accompanied by explosive diarrhea. The rabbit won't eat or drink. It's almost always fatal, the only treatment is to use a tube to try and empty the contents of the stomach and relieve the pressure, but they usually rebloat within hours. The cause remains unknown.

Gas is more common. A rabbit can have a gas attack from something he/she ate, and the usual symptoms are refusing food, looking uncomfortable -- lying on the stomach and shifting positions - and mild to moderate pain, and feeling cold. A gassy rabbit will drink a little water. The stomach can gurgle and feel bloated, but not grossly distended.

I can usually tell that it's a gas attack when they appear to be comforted by a tummy massage. Most rabbits don't like the idea at first, but after a few minutes of trying it, they relax and enjoy it. They will also move a bit, even if its making a fairly quick beeline back to their 'safe spot' or 'I don't feel well' corner. A bloated rabbit is more lethargic.

I've had a couple of my rabbits look absolutely terrible from a common gas attack. My mini-rex's eyes would go dull, he'd pee on himself, he'd do a little tooth-grinding... But I'd have him in his carrier ready to rush him to the vet and he'd just snap out of it and happily start munching hay.

A gas attacks here have lasted anywhere from four to 12 hours. Treatment is long long long long tummy massages, warmth and a substantial dose of simethicone gas meds every hour for three hours.

I'll also use a little Pedialyte, and sometimes Nutri-cal or honey water when we pass the eight hour mark. The calories will help ward off a liver problem that start kicking in as early as 12 hours, especially with obese rabbits. At this point they also need fluids. They don't really need solid food at this stage.

But at the 12 hour mark, they're at the vet's, anyway. because its likely the problem goes deeper than the gas.

Glad she's feeling better!

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back