Gummy bears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red.Rabbit

Reaction score
Are they ok for my rabbit to eat? There was onelaying on my floor and my bunny found it and ate half of it but I tookit away from her because I wasn't sure if it's ok for her.

It won't hurt but I wouldn't purposely give them. I'm sure they're stuffed with sugar which isn't very good for any animal.

Besides being full of sugar, I would think thatthey would stick to the rabbit's teeth. With critter kids inthe house, under foot all the time, I find that I don't dare letanything fall on the floor!!! There's always somebody makinga lunge for it if it does.

I was eating gummy bears, and my rabbit was in his cage. I held it out for him to smell and he ended up snatching it away from me and eating it. He’ll be okay right?

He will be alright, but it is definitely not something I would give to them on purpose, as they even upset a human's tummy. I must admit, mine got into a few twice by digging through things just to get to them. Bunnies can somehow smell them in the next room, and mine go CRAZY whenever I open a bag, so I stopped buying them, haha. Silly rabbits do not know how bad these things are for them :(

Welcome to RO! As others have said, a single gummy bear isn't cause for concern - your rabbit will be just fine! There's nothing inherently toxic in a gummy bear.

That said, rabbits ARE prone to diabetes if they get too much sugar or too many carbs in general from their diet (long-term). Gummy bears and most other carbs (including crackers, cereal, chips, pasta, etc.) should be avoided and things like fruit and non-leafy veggies (esp. carrots) should be fed in strict moderation according to HRS guidelines.

In other words, you shouldn't deliberately give sugary/starchy foods to your rabbit... but you don't need to freak out about a one-time snatch of something "forbidden".

Latest posts

Back