guinea pig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy5

Reaction score
anyone have any?

we are thinking about getting 2

gunie pig??

well we have been on the hunt for a new family pet & I think we are going with gunni pigs

I have never owned there cute little critters & need some Info

I know about the viti c that they can not make there own so they need vitimans or chewables

I was thinking we would get 2 one for each child because I think I read somewhere that they are herd animals & do best in packs.
so with this info should I get 2 males will they fight?
a male & femals will have babies so this is out.
which leaves us with 2 females which is the best ?

do they make there cute little sounds at nighttime when everyone is sleeping cause if they do this is going to be some troubble

can anyone point me in the drection of a good piggie web site?
thanks
Kathy

http://www.cavycompendium.com/forums/

Here's a forum for piggies that I used when I watched my sister's for an extended period. They were very helpful. It's kinda like RO where you could post all your questions and get answers.

As far as noise during the night, my sister's pig wasn't very loud after dark unless we opened the refrigerator. He could here that thing from all the way down the hall:biggrin2:. He'd settle right down though so he didn't keep us up.

I've heard you should get two and I know there are rescues that adopt from that will help with that just like rabbit rescues.

One other thing that was recommended to me was to use the vitamin c chewables rather than put it in their water. I guess it breaks down in the water fast so isn't as potent and it may prevent them from drinking as much. However, not sure about that because my sister's had always had drops in his water until I happened to find the chewables at my local pet store.

I have experience with guinea pigs (having had them as a child). They are so cute, vocal and just adorable. The important thing you need to know is they are high maintenance. They need hay 24-7 and fresh veggies. They are skittish by nature and will run when you go to pick them up. Once you have a hold of them they calm down and like to sit in their humans lap or cuddle with them. They need big, big cages for such small critters.

Cavy compendium is a great site i post there under luvmyzoocrew too so say hi when you stop by.

They are great lil animals, i dont technically own any but i foster guinea pigs.

As far as Vit c as long as you are feeding them fresh veggies, and a fortified vit c pellets, hay then you dont need vit c tabs or liquid vitamins. Just like rabbits dont put anything in thier water. Green pepper is a good source of vitamins for the piggies. You can make a NIC cage for piggies too, for bedding you can use fleece and towels or bedding that you use for rabbits. They are herd animals so i would get more then one. There are TONS in rescues and at shelters. Before starting in fostering them i was actually looking to add another bun and realized in my search that there were ton s of guinea pigs in need, i never even knew there were that many piggies in the world, let alone in my area,lol. There are alot of similarities with rabbits as far as diet and living arrangments so it will be easy to understand piggies. DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE BALLS they are not made for piggies bone structures.

Some piggies are noisey , some not so much. I have had anything from piggies that sound like sirens,lol, to piggies that make these wee lil sounds. I dont know how much noise they make at night as they arent in my room, but other then thier noises other no ises they make are the water bottle noises, just like the rabbits, if they are playing with thier toys. Mine make the most amount of noise when they know they are going to eat!!!!!!! lol

Good luck, my favorite piggies are the Abby's with the crazy hair.

hi

I registered last night & went & clicked on the link to finish the register

I am still not allowed to post tho can you let one of the mods know this so I can start posting

my user name is kathy5

thanks

i know they have restrictions to make sure that you are not a spammer so your first few posts have to be approved, but i will let them know you are coming from here , i dont have much authority,lol, but i will try

i just did an introduction for you but i didnt see you in the member thing, lets see if someone says something. Can you sign in.

this is the message I get on the CC forum

kathy5, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

please help

i posted your message and we will see what they say. i will let you know as soon as they reply. I am wondering if the account has to be activated or something , i am not exactly sure how it works on thier end but as soon as i find out i will let you know.

Ok someone on there is notifying admins, to advoid spamming you have to be approved and i guess no one has approved you yet so he is going to let them know you are not a spammer. It is sad when people go on and spam message boards,lol.

any Idear on how long this is going to take?

I could of joined 5 other boards by now with no prob

I totally understand about spammers but this is just a bit much

If this is going to be one of thoes boards that is breathing down your neck than maybe I won't bother.

some boards ban you If you do not spell right & things of this sort I just want to learn the most I can before bringing a piggy home CRYS

I was briefly oncavy compendiumlike 2 years ago when I was possiblylooking into getting a pair of guinea pigs, and they do seem like a great board. A lot of boards go through this process, since they can be hit pretty hard by spammers.

I'd stick with Cavy Compendium for now.. definitely one of the more friendlier Cavy forums.. some boardsout there are best to avoid, but CavyCompedium from my brief experience seems to be a good one!

hey whatever board you choose to go to is totally up to you, but i will tell you this there are insane boards out there that breath down your neck, bash you for not doing things there way, and jump all over you for every mistake in spelling you do and this is NOT one of those boards. I belong to a few and this one is the best one out there. Just because you go to CC doesnt mean that you cant go to others, there is a whole internet of stuff out there. I dont know who does the controls for new members so i dont know when they get on.

oh i was thinking that you should still be able to get onto the site and look and read?

Latest posts

Back