guinea pig question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinandwhiskersmom

Reaction score
My daughter has 2 guinea pigs who are bothered by dry skin and itching. They've been to the vet, and don't appear to have mites. She is getting sunflower seeds for the, (shelled and unsalted) but is wondering if she should get roasted or unroasted seeds. Thanks for your input!

Unfortunately, it's quite common for vets to misdiagnose mites in Guinea Pigs. At the first sign of excessive itching I go ahead and treat my guys with Ivermectin and often my vet recommends this as well. It's good as precautionary and it doesn't hurt. That way you can rule out it truly being mites or not depending on if there is improvement. Sorry I'm not sure about the sunflower question as I've never given them to my pigs.

Here is more info on Mites in Guinea Pigs including misdiagnosis.

http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

:wave:

I had one that was like that. The vet ruled out mites and said some gps suffer from dry skin and to try head and shoulders. I didn't get the chance to try it but thought I would put it out there.

Not sure on the seeds as I don't feed them. I'm not so sure it's a good choice to feed a guinea pig seeds. Fresh veggies and some fruits are better choices as a treat.

Mites are very common in guinea pigs. You won't be able to see them and even when a vet does a skin scrap many times they are missed. You will often notice an increase in scratching, hair thinning on the back (sometimes in a v shape)

A bath won't get rid of mites but it might help remove any loose hair and dirt. And make them smell better too ;)

Do you have pigtures to share? :)

Happi Bun wrote:
Unfortunately, it's quite common for vets to misdiagnose mites in Guinea Pigs. At the first sign of excessive itching I go ahead and treat my guys with Ivermectin and often my vet recommends this as well. It's good as precautionary and it doesn't hurt. That way you can rule out it truly being mites or not depending on if there is improvement. Sorry I'm not sure about the sunflower question as I've never given them to my pigs.

Happi Bun is right on this but it difficult to treat with ivermectin on your own unless your are very experienced with correct dosing.

angieluv wrote:
Happi Bun wrote:

Happi Bun is right on this but it difficult to treat with ivermectin on your own unless your are very experienced with correct dosing.
Very true! I would definitely take the piggies back to the vet to get treated with Ivermectin. It shouldn't be too costly and will provide peace of mind as well as eliminating the possibility of mites.

Sadly, no pics to share...Jasper and Brownie live with my daughter and SIL. The vet did give them ivermectin to treat them, just in case it was mites. Nothing showed up on the scraping, but I was glad that they had the treatment done anyway.

They are the cutest little guys, by the way. Brownie, obviously, is all brown, and Jasper is black with a patch of tan on his back. Jasper was named for Jasper Fforde, and Brownie was named for Sarah's favorite dessert treat (not cuz of his color).

They do get veggies, but I'm not sure what kind. My SIL coats the veggies in coconut oil occasionally, in order to keep them lubricated, I guess. Does that sound right? I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to guinea pigs.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I told Sarah that you guys would have some ideas...we rabbit slaves aren't one-dimensional animal lovers.:biggrin2:

I have one guinnea pig at the shelter I volunteer at and she is bonded with a bunny so only eats bun food; she did get a sore on her head (just at her cow-lick spot, and we all blamed her mate the bun for nipping her).. She - Squeak made a full recovery with some topical solution (not sure which) but we NEVER give them seeds of anytime (not needed in their diet or buns).. too fatty. Their not squirrels..

I'd think that guinnea pigs are so small - less pellets (if any) and just hay would suffice - but will ask others more knowledable that rescue the pigs and get back to you.

Good luck!

Aww, They sound very cute! Seriously though, What guinea pig isn't cute? ;):biggrin2:

I feed plain alfalfa based pellets with a sprinkle of quaker oats and lot's of timothy hay to my guinea pigs. They also get some fresh veggies a few times a week and on occasion some fresh fruit. I supplement them with vitamin c tablets as well. Most of my pigs will eat the vitamin like it's a treat.

As for the mite treatment it should be done a total of three times at 7-10 days a part.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back