Grub/Mole problem - Yard Treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
My yard is amazing to all who see it. Many heads have turned, time and again - when people drive/walk by and see the wonderful blanket of dandelions I boast. ;)

Yummy for the rabbits, awesome for home made wine!

My problem is my dogs. One of the small dogs has taught a larger breed pup how to dig the mole holes. Bigger pup has taken it one step further and has gone full throttle, capturing the animals.

The result is an amazing array of ankle twisting holes, of which I am prone to finding.

I spoke to Dad about the problem. He said my solution is to buy a pitch fork to poke the mole tunnels until I eliminate the problem, buy traps to basically do the same thing with little effort on my part - or buy a product to kill their food; grubs.

Personally, I don't want to go around poking mole tunnels. Out of sight doesn't mean out of mind to me and I'd rather get a job done than possibly leaving any animal suffering. Traps - I just don't see how they would be much better, and could just imagine the hassle with my dogs...

So, the grubs are the best target of my frustration, I suppose. Rid the yard of the food source and perhaps the moles will go to more suitable areas.

My concern, of course, is contaminating the ground, the edible plants for the rabbits and ultimately causing harm/damage/death to my rabbits.

Are there any "safe" products to use on a lawn for grubs, or does anyone know of any other feasible solutions to my problem? When it's all said and done I may end up doing little at all, but I'd like to hear any input that could be beneficial to my current plight.

My dad had a similar problem, minus the dogs, with moles. He found these "worms" at a local farm supply store. You poke a hole in a active tunnel and stick one of these "worms" into it leaving part of it above ground. That way you can see if the mole took the bait. I've used them too and got rid of my mole problem.

My brother has also used Juicy Fruit gum to drop in the holes. The moles eat it and I think it does something to their digestive tract and they end of dead.

I think if you use anything to kill the grubs it will leave a residue behind that could hurt the buns. Product label would be the only way to tell for sure of course.

Got a good crop of dandelion's eh? Minehaven't come it yet, a few here and there in the yard, but not like most years.

Good Luck

Dave

I don't know if it is safe for rabbits, but supposidly a treatment called milky spore is VERY effective against these grubs. It only affects the grub larvae and is safe for plants and other organisms. It is fairly natural. Also, one treatment is said to last up to 17 years....

Look it up and check it out.... :)

Latest posts

Back