Grr.. trio might lose their loose 'hay pile'.. ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
I usually have a flake of hay just in the middle of the pen in a cardboard box on it's side, but the trio is making SUCH a mess peeing in it, on the blanket, pooping all in it, pretty much just using it as a litterbox. I want them to be able to dig, play and have it easily accessed, so a hay rack just won't work. So I was thinking of making a large bin for them with litter on the bottom, so I can avoid this mess. I'm having to wipe down where the hay is everyday and wash the blankets way too often. They are usually litter trained, but just enjoy peeing in hay! Litterbox or no litterbox!

I have the bottom of a petstore cage ( 1 foot by 3 foot)as alitterbox for them currently, but I really want them to have a larger box.. because they can just barely fit all together in the litterbox, so wouldn't work just to have it as their only hay source.

Any ideas of what or how I can make a huge litterbox (preferably. 2x4)? I'm hoping if I jsut take up the area where their hay pile used to be.. then have it as a litterbox, will be easy to clean and they'll still have the fun of playing and digging through hay.

My rabbits are the same way. Anywhere there is hay they go to the bathroom on it. I have started putting it over their litter. They seem to like it. They eat the hay to. Sometimes I will try to put the hay in one spot in the litter box hoping they will go on the other side so they don't soil the hay and can eat it. It doesn't always work though.

For my rabbits litter boxes I bought the basic cat litter box. One with no top just a basic bottom. Like this http://www.amazon.com/Doskocil-Litter-Pan-Large/dp/B0002Y1SJG/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1225584302&sr=1-19The pet stores usually have a smaller one if this one is to big. But this provides my rabbits a lot of room for eating and going to the bathroom. I have a lionhead who is about 5lbs and has no problem jumping in the large one.

Hope that helps. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Daisy and Penn were notoriously messy with hay

Tell me..... what is worse than sweeping through a pile of hay with a broom and then smearing the big puddle of urine under it :disgust:?
Everyone on this forum must have experienced the puddle hidden under hay so that there is poop mixed withurine soaked hay and a wet floor. :banghead

They didn't exclusively use their litterboxes but dragged the hay to the center of the floor and used it like a toilet.

I started taking big boxes..like boxes from oxbow or sam.s club or any box I could get and putting a clean box with hay in itdown every day. I mean big boxes that they could both go into together. they did their pee poo thing and then I would just throw out the box.

But eventually i ran out of boxes
so....
i found these cat litter boxes at farm and fleet that have a plastic grate that fits over the side (they also used to dig the litter out of the box so that would also be part of the uine soaked hay and poop mess :headsmack) and tried putting the hay on the grated litterbox. The FINALLY use the box ..why I had to go through all that I don't know.
Is their anything useful to you in this post? I guess a regualr even large litterbox wouldn't hold 3 at once

if you can get a lot of cardboard boxes the box thing would work for a trio:rant:

Oh! Go to Lowe's or Home Depot (if you have them) and get their largest sized cement mixing tub! It looks like a GIANT litter box.

You can also try large, but shallow rubber maid bins.

undergunfire wrote:
Oh! Go to Lowe's or Home Depot (if you have them) and get their largest sized cement mixing tub! It looks like a GIANT litter box.

You can also try large, but shallow rubber maid bins.
I like the cement mixing tub idea ..for some reason i don' t remember seeing one

Thanks!

I know, it's such a mess when they do poop/pee on the blankets/hay/cardboard box.. makes the whole pen look like a disaster! Poppy has always been notorious for peeing where ever she wants.. she'll use the litterbox 80% of the time, but I swear sometimes she just can't be bothered and will just let it go while she's munching on hay... she's the worst offender of the three LOL!

I'll definitely look into the cement mixing tubs, they look like they could work!

For now, only hay is in the big litterbox.. and so far only 4 stray poops outside of it when normally it would be just covered in pee and poo.. surprise surprise!

:devil:devil:devil

Latest posts

Back