Growth on rabbits face

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Sola

Reaction score
My 12 yr old bunny started out with a puffy face, then the spot turned dark and then scabbed. The vet took a sample but don't have results from the lab yet. I've had pet rabbits for 30 yrs and never saw anything like this before. She's on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. She's still eating, pooping and drinking but grinds her teeth a bit so she must be in pain. Any idea what this nasty growth could be?

Attachments

• 20200717_121658.jpg
    20200717_121658.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 10
Did the vet take xrays and do a dental exam to rule out it being an abscess related to a dental infection? That is a really common place for rabbits to get abscesses because of a tooth infection.
Medirabbit (facial abscesses in rabbits due to dental infections)

I'm wondering if the skin turning dark might be from bruising due to the inflammation, and not from it being a tumor. Another possibility for the swelling and possible bruising, might be a poisonous bug bite.

Thanks for the reply! The vet checked her teeth and they all looked fine. I'm leaning towards a bug bite, too, Still waiting for the lab results from the culture. She's still eating well.

Latest posts

Back