Growing Food for Rabbits?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisonl702

Reaction score
In another post I saw that some people grow their own rabbit food. It sounds fun!! If so, what kind of food do you grow? It's just the greens that the buns eat, right? Do you guys do it inside? Cuz winter here is brutal so outside is not in the option. If you do it inside, what kind of container do you use to grow the food?

I haven't been able to do a bunny/bird garden yet but want to! Herbs are easy so I'm told & can be grown indoors. My bunny girls, Faith & Hope love cilantro, parsley, the cat wheat grass you get at pet stores. Dried carrots are a favorite treat too. Oh, you might want to mention what area of the US or other country you are in (nothing specific) for better ideas of what will grow in your area. Wishing you well with your green thumb & bunny garden!

Tauntz

Except for our short winters, I usually grow an herb garden just for the bunnies. Basil grows like crazy in our hot summers. In the photo I have some early basil in the front, some parsley and then some purple basil in the background.
The basil is so prolific, that I can feed it in the quantities shown in the 2nd photo every day during growing season.

Now with winter approaching, I was trying to grow some parsley inside, but I killed it!

100_8689 (2).jpg

100_8851.jpg

I saw some hydroponic kale in the grocery store and it started me thinking of growing some greens indoor with a hydroponic system. There is a place near me that sells the supplies. I suspect they sell mostly to people who grow their own pot ;) but I think it would be a great way to keep me and my bunnies loaded up with lettuce and herbs.

I might do a garden again this summer. I don't grow rabbit specific items, but things like Kale, parsley, some brocoli and spinach, and even small amounts of romaine lettuce are all things rabbits can eat. I grew sage one year and discovered its rather perennial and my old rabbit thumper really LOVED the sage! They also enjoy dandelions alot, and while we don't grow them on purpose, its nice to have a bright side to them! LOL!

I grow greens and herbs for mine. I didn't grow the garden that I normally would this year due to an overwhelming abundance of work, but next spring I'm going to fill it up! Right now I have dill, red lettuce and as always I have lavender. I don't know how I manage to do it, but I always kill the cilantro and parsley. I don't have much luck with basil either! I'm jealous of yours Blue Eyes! Fortunately there's Kroger with their amazing organic produce section.

I'm not much of a gardener but this year I planted parsley, mint, cilantro, kale, and leaf lettuce. The bunz certainly seemed to appreciate the fresh food. I fed them a fair amount of dandelions, too. Mine was planted outside in the front flower beds -- winter will soon get the last of my kale if I don't feed it to the bunz post-haste. I've been thinking about growing herbs inside but I don't have good light in my basement suite.

Latest posts

Back