Grooming problems with bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnibuns

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a Holland lop named Finny. He's just the sweetest, most loving animal I've ever met. I got him as a baby in May, and I kid you not, we have not left each other's side since I got him. We're very close. He's turning 1 on the first of March. (My how time flies).
Recently, I've noticed some 'issues'?(?) with his hygiene and grooming. He pulls fur off his bottom, there are urine stains on some of that bottom fur, his fur seems... almost greasy? I'm going to get some black oil sunflower seeds to help his coat, I only gave them to him as treats when he was young and I'm mad at myself for stopping. And, I've noticed his skin flaking on his ears, under his fur. I want my handsome little boy to be in top health, I don't know how to help him and I feel like I'm failing as a bunny mom. Please tell me if this is normal, what can I do to help him groom himself?

It might not just be a grooming thing. In normal healthy adult rabbits, they should be able to keep themselves clean. Rabbits are most often, very fastidious about their grooming and hygiene. Hormonal males can be a little different, as they like to spray urine to mark territory. But generally, a rabbit that can't keep itself clean, may potentially have an underlying health issue, particularly when they didn't used to have any cleanliness issues.

Is he neutered? How's his litter box set up and his litter habits? If he steps in pee puddles or his litter in his litter box gets too soaked before changing, that could cause his feet and bum to get some urine staining. Is his bum staying wet or just dry and stained? And dribbled spots of urine around his area or your house, any pee accidents if he is normally good with litter training, any thick creamy or gritty urine? Have you noticed the color of his urine? Any lesions or small bumps around the genitals or face?

Is the skin only flaky on the ears? How about on the back behind the neck, or any dandruff or crustiness anywhere else on his body? Any excessive scratching that you've noticed? Any other odd symptoms that you've noticed?

He is neutered and has been since June. He always goes pee in his litterbox, and he's very good at his litter habits. His pee is a darkish yellow color, not quite orange. His bottom stays dry, I've only noticed him with a wet bottom once, which was maybe at the beginning of January. And I haven't seen the flaking anywhere else but his ears. He hasn't been scratching them that often, or more than usual. He doesn't act strangely, he's still a sweet happy-go-lucky bun like he always was.

Latest posts

Back