Grooming/itching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
I always see haru turn her face to her back and nods her head, I can’t really see if she’s licking herself or biting. I have never questioned it because I have always thought that she was grooming herself. Today i took her to the vet to cut her nails, and I asked him about the thing that was on her back that I talked about on the previous thread, it appeared to be a scab, he removed it and put powder on it, I think it’s the one that you put to stop bleeding even though she wasn’t bleeding, he told me to put it on her everyday. When we got back I’ve been observing her, her face is always on the wound, and I thought.. is this her cleaning it?or is she itching it with her teeth?its to the point where she would fall on her back
Do they only itch with their foot or could this thing be itching too?I still don’t know what hurt her, could it be that she was itching and hurt herself?the vet said that there was no mites or anything and that she looks healthy.she also likes sitting under the couch,bed,and she always go under a table that is very low maybe 3 inch, I’m thinking that it could be from that. What’s weird is that it was only that small wound, if she was itching alot or if it’s from the table it would be every where right?im getting worried now.

Attachments

• 12B5F62C-D03D-42F4-B552-AC29E393AACC.png
    12B5F62C-D03D-42F4-B552-AC29E393AACC.png
    532.3 KB · Views: 5
Hm, my rabbit had a tiny open wound on her back too, I thought it was something sharp scratched her under the bed, but it was just her own nails (when she scratches her back with her back legs?) Could it be that? Are her nails trimmed?

Hm, my rabbit had a tiny open wound on her back too, I thought it was something sharp scratched her under the bed, but it was just her own nails (when she scratches her back with her back legs?) Could it be that? Are her nails trimmed?
No it wasn’t, I couldn’t cut it, she fights and kicks if I try to cut them, her nails are dark and I’m not experienced, I can’t cut them quickly I don’t want to hurt her, but i took her to get them cut yesterday. How should I treat the wound?do i apply the powder or should I leave it to heal by itself?

Yeah, I had the same problem ;~; My dad had cats before so he can cut animal nails. But he has to put the poor thing on his lap, with me feeding her months worth of pellets during that short 3 minutes of nail trimming, so she is distracted 😂 Aren't there nail cutters with a light? Or you can try out those nail grinder things so you have more control? They're for dogs mostly, but it works for rabbits too I think.
Also, you should bring her to somewhere she's never been, maybe in the bathroom so she is too scared to move?

The wound I say just leave them 🤣 It's probably small like a paper cut.

How should I treat the wound?do i apply the powder or should I leave it to heal by itself?
I would continue to apply the powder since that is what your vet told you to do. If it doesn't get better I would start putting antibiotic ointment on it (make sure it does not have added pain relief).

I would continue to apply the powder since that is what your vet told you to do. If it doesn't get better I would start putting antibiotic ointment on it (make sure it does not have added pain relief).
She keeps licking it to itching it I’m not sure, but her mouth os always on the wound os that okay?

You need to put a shirt on her or put a cone on her. She needs to stop biting it. Here a diy rabbit collar (if you make one, make sure the rabbit can still get her food):

You need to put a shirt on her or put a cone on her. She needs to stop biting it. Here a diy rabbit collar (if you make one, make sure the rabbit can still get her food):

Is this her biting on it?I still don’t understand if she’s licking, biting, or itching. She is doing it alot on the wound side, and on the other side too, I can’t look at her skin, her fur is long, but I touched her to check if there’s a bump like the wound side, and there wasn’t. This is her back, and her face is turned 180 to the back

Attachments

• 5D867F92-FE45-49BD-9E66-B99660FD61CE.jpeg
    5D867F92-FE45-49BD-9E66-B99660FD61CE.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2
I looked it up and they said fucidin is okay, i put fucidin and I don’t have a shirt so I put cotton bandana around her, she hates it and I don’t want to stress her more. The bandana is loose

Attachments

• ECB5EB8D-D0EC-40DE-9A45-E86AAABE7AA8.png
    ECB5EB8D-D0EC-40DE-9A45-E86AAABE7AA8.png
    511.6 KB · Views: 1
It does look like she is chewing it, so put a cone or shirt or something on it that will prevent that. That bandage looks like it will be coming off so try to find another option. It looks like a scab, so maybe put some Antibiotic ointment on it (make sure there is no added pain relief).

Latest posts

Back