Grooming day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a few picture of Odin’s day. Finally I took the step to trim his claws, giving Odin a small bum bath and brushing him. Talk about a real struggle, squirming and trying to hide his paws from the nail trimmer. Even giving kisses and showing his cute side, wouldn’t stop me.

But Odin fought back proudly, fur flying everywhere while fighting to the bitter end. Which bunny want to take a bath and get short claws.

He’s named after a old wise god, so of course he need to show whose the true ruler of the house.

So no kisses to his slave today, even when she pick him up. He will just ignore her. That’s her punishment for making him take a dreadful bath

IMG_5778.jpg
IMG_5782.jpg
IMG_5790.jpgIMG_5791.jpg

If you wonder why I cleaned his bum. Odin have trouble cleaning himself because of the weight. So he was a bit messy on bum and tail, the fur had clumped together. So he got a bath which was only the bum, back paws and tail where he was dirty.

// Odin the foodie & Linnéa

Odin, who traded one eye for wisdom. The Marvel universe portrayal was not very close to the Norse mythology. Very cute little guy--looks just like our little Charlene--we have pics on her rainbow page as she's been gone for almost a decade, but, she was very sweet and unforgettable.

I remember when I had Norse mythology at school as a child. I loved the stories and the history. Don’t know if they still teach Norse mythology but I have memories of those classes and when you learned simple words with runic alphabet[emoji5]

Myself also have trouble with the marvel portrayal of Odin.

I like the name because it was also my father's name; not that many Odins in these parts. :)

IMG_6274.jpgIMG_6275.jpg

Today isn’t Odins grooming day but a few pictures of his outfit before he went out to eat a bit of grass. He had to get a bit of reward after being in the cage the whole week. We was out in the dark, so he had to have a bit of reflex. Easily to spot him in the dark while he jump around.

He wasn’t so happy that the grass was wet but it was yummy.

Odin is used with his vest and harness on, so there’s no panic and no chance of him getting stuck. Everything is fitted after his own size and measurement.

He will get his grooming this week, I hope I manage to win the battle when the time comes. Wish me luck

Last edited:
View attachment 45582View attachment 45583

Today isn’t Odins grooming day but a few pictures of his outfit before he went out to eat a bit of grass. He had to get a bit of reward after being in the cage the whole week. We was out in the dark, so he had to have a bit of reflex. Easily to spot him in the dark while he jump around.

He wasn’t so happy that the grass was wet but it was yummy.

Odin is used with his vest and harness on, so there’s no panic and no chance of him getting stuck. Everything is fitted after his own size and measurement.

He will get his grooming this week, I hope I manage to win the battle when the time comes. Wish me luck
I must say, Odin looks dashing with that vest on! I love that it’s reflective too so it’s much easier to see him when it’s darker.

Best of luck to you on his grooming day. I just groomed Trixie the other day and my goodness, I’ve never had so much fur on me...it was EVERYWHERE lol (she was shedding her winter coat which didn’t help). She was so unhappy with me afterwards, she wouldn’t even take her favorite treats once I finished.

I must say, Odin looks dashing with that vest on! I love that it’s reflective too so it’s much easier to see him when it’s darker.

Best of luck to you on his grooming day. I just groomed Trixie the other day and my goodness, I’ve never had so much fur on me...it was EVERYWHERE lol (she was shedding her winter coat which didn’t help). She was so unhappy with me afterwards, she wouldn’t even take her favorite treats once I finished.

Great job at grooming Trixie, she put up a good struggle :)

I’m expecting to see fur flying everywhere when I groom Odin. Odin have been unhappy with me the whole last week. He refused giving me kisses and always turned his back on me.

But it’s slowly warming up between us with a lot of bribing. I can understand the spoiled boy being in a cage the a whole week wouldn’t be that happy. I’m glad he’s such a gluttony so a bit of food and he will back to his cuddly self again.

What brushes do y'all (@Hermelin and @Mehidk) use? I currently have this kit:upload_2020-3-9_11-21-55.jpegand I hate it. It just blows fur everywhere and doesn't help. He keeps getting hairballs and going into Gi-stasis because he hates being brushed and when I do brush him it doesn't do anything. Any tips?

What brushes do y'all (@Hermelin and @Mehidk) use? I currently have this kit:View attachment 45589and I hate it. It just blows fur everywhere and doesn't help. He keeps getting hairballs and going into Gi-stasis because he hates being brushed and when I do brush him it doesn't do anything. Any tips?

I use something like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-black-undercoat-cat-comb

Trixie doesn't shed too much in the first place, but when I do brush her, her hair clumps towards the back end of the bush and I just pull it off. Now that she's shedding her winter coat, I've been brushing her more often.

When you brush him, try distracting him by giving him some veggies or treat. I did that with Trixie in the beginning and now she's used to the comb and actually settles herself right next to me when I start brushing her.

What brushes do y'all (@Hermelin and @Mehidk) use? I currently have this kit:View attachment 45589and I hate it. It just blows fur everywhere and doesn't help. He keeps getting hairballs and going into Gi-stasis because he hates being brushed and when I do brush him it doesn't do anything. Any tips?

I use the furminator and a soft brush. So it all depends on how heavy they molt :)

I personally like the first one! The second one is terrifying LOL.

I personally like the first one! The second one is terrifying LOL.
I am going to order the first one today because it has great reviews and if I don't like it I will find a different one. I agree that the second one looks terrifying, but it was rated #1 on Best Brushes for Shedding Rabbits (https://drfoxmag.com/5-best-brushes-for-shedding-rabbits-compared-reviewed/). I think it is mostly used to get the undercoat, which Theo has thickly because he is a Mini Rex and it was just winter.

Took 30 mins trimming Odin’s claws but the brushing was easy. The struggle trying to keep him still and not fight back it’s so hard.

With a lot of bribing the last 8 claws only took 5 mins but his front paws was a fight. Why do he have to have so much fur on his paws, even when they are wet the fur will be in the way.

1035E78C-9E8B-4D05-94C9-C14B1D0D42CE.jpg

The weekend it will be Lilja and Toste to trim their claws. At least they are so docile I don’t have to fight them and can just move them however I want and they will stay.

Took 30 mins trimming Odin’s claws but the brushing was easy. The struggle trying to keep him still and not fight back it’s so hard.

With a lot of bribing the last 8 claws only took 5 mins but his front paws was a fight. Why do he have to have so much fur on his paws, even when they are wet the fur will be in the way.

View attachment 45632

The weekend it will be Lilja and Toste to trim their claws. At least they are so docile I don’t have to fight them and can just move them however I want and they will stay.
He looks like he's saying "how dare you destroy my claws!" LOL.

Do you have to hold Odin? I have to hold Trixie and keep her distracted by giving her treats when I trim hers. The first time I had her nails done, I had gone to House Rabbit Society and she was so well behaved! She sat on the table with no issues and let the lady trim the nails. I thought it would be a breeze to do it at home (and save money) but low and behold, it's completely different and a battle with her.

He looks like he's saying "how dare you destroy my claws!" LOL.

Do you have to hold Odin? I have to hold Trixie and keep her distracted by giving her treats when I trim hers. The first time I had her nails done, I had gone to House Rabbit Society and she was so well behaved! She sat on the table with no issues and let the lady trim the nails. I thought it would be a breeze to do it at home (and save money) but low and behold, it's completely different and a battle with her.

Yeah, I have watch other people doing his claws and it look so easy. It totally change when I have to do it alone. If another person holds him, he will be still but not when I do it alone.

I place him up on the table and try to hold him in one place. Then I fight to get his paw and him not pulling away. The back paws are the easiest to trim but front paws he’s more flexible.

At least he don’t bite or try to scratch, he will just slink away or jump up towards me and try to climb over my shoulder to jump away. So I have to be ready to catch him. He will also hide his paws, pressing them to his cheeks or hide them under his head.

I’m scared I will break his paws if I try to force them to come forward. So I’m extremely careful when handling the front paws.

Latest posts

Back