Grooming- A right way?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Reaction score
Hey all! CiCi is shedding pretty profusely. I'm positive its just a normal molt, add to that its summer.

However... It seems no matter how much I brush, there is ALWAYS more fur. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing it wrong!

Basically what I do is:

1) Dampen my hands, and run them over her body to get loose fur. I then clean my hands and

2) "Pull" the fur. Not actually PULLING it, but gentlygrabbing loose fur and tossing it onto the patio.

3) Go over her body with the cat brush

4) Go over her with a shedding comb, meant for small dogs. It works REALLY well and gets a lot of the shedded fur.

5) Go back over her body with the cat brush

6) Go over her belly with the cat brush. This area doesnt really shed.

7) Go over her face, ears, and feet with a soft bristle toothbrush.

Now, you'd think after all that, she'd be less furry. Nope! UsuallyI have to repeat the process again! I do this outside, and it is HOT out there... I think this may be why she sheds MORE after I groom her. After I move her inside and let her hop around and get a treat, her fur "stabalizes" and only leaves a little hair in her wake.

So, what do you all think? Am I doing it wrong? Or is there a better way to go about grooming her?

Sounds like you've got a pretty good system there. I'm not really sure what else I would suggest :dunno

Mocha and Keoki are both shedding as well! And I am having the same problem. No matter how much you brush them, hair is always fallling out!:?

I work out the "chunks" with my hands, then I brush with a Zoom Groom. It's great at getting the loose undercoat out. Usually my work lasts a little bit, and it does make a noticeable difference.

Hmmm a Zoom Groom.. I will have to look that up! It sounds worthwhile.

When she's not shedding, its no issue to just pick her up and haul her around, but when she sheds, the fur just ends up everywhere. *sighs* Not that I mind all the brushing, just I'm wondering how long she'll shed for, LOL. :cool:

What is this Zoom Groom of which you all speak so fondly? :cool:

Cait -- I hear ya, I brush Zeke CONSTANTLY and take out MOUNDS of hair each time! You'd think that he'd be bald at this point. There isfur all over the place, thanks to him. Whenever he runs near me, I get fur in my eyes, nose, and mouth.

Could he be losing his baby coat? He's just about a year old. I heard someone mention something along those lines, once.

Erin

Latest posts

Back