Groom rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyWabbit

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 2 pet rabbits both less than a year old. Is it necessary to groom them? What are advantages of grooming? If I don’t groom them, what will happen?

please help me, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, fuzzyWabbit

Bunnies groom themselves almost all the time, but when they eat too much of their own loose fur, it can lead to fur build up in their system. I groom Shen about 1-2 times a month because of his undercoat. And found his poop will have strands of hair in it if he eats too much of his own fur. But mine is a Netherland Holland Lop mix. So his fur isn't like an Angora or lionhead.

Bunnies groom themselves almost all the time, but when they eat too much of their own loose fur, it can lead to fur build up in their system. I groom Shen about 1-2 times a month because of his undercoat. And found his poop will have strands of hair in it if he eats too much of his own fur. But mine is a Netherland Holland Lop mix. So his fur isn't like an Angora or lionhead.
Ok thanks. Also what do they like do exactly in grooming? I think grooming consists of nail trimming, massage, and the fur brushing.

You will need to learn how to clip your rabbit's nails at home because you are in an area with an RHDV2 outbreak. I would keep your rabbits home unless there is an extreme medical emergency. If you do not know what RHDV2 is check out this link: Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus (RHDV) | House Rabbit Society

Here are some videos to help with nail clipping:

Hi all, I have 2 pet rabbits both less than a year old. Is it necessary to groom them? What are advantages of grooming? If I don’t groom them, what will happen?

please help me, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, fuzzyWabbit
Hi, when you groom them you build stronger bond with them, also it will help you to establish yourself as an Alpha-bunny, because they will be moving by your command and you will gently push them to do so, so they will be listening to your command more. So I would strongly recommend learning how to clip nails as well, you need to learn to pick them up and hold them, most rabbits love being held and groomed, I know there's many talks that they don't like to be picked up and sometimes it's true, but you need to train them so they start tolerating that and later they will enjoy that. There are some rabbits don't even need training they are lap-rabbits but even most aggressive can be trained, it takes time but it is not impossible, grooming is essential at least once a month do the nails, full check and long long grooming, 30-60 mins long, and it is very satisfying when they change from aggressive to purring on your chest, very satisfying.

Latest posts

Back