Gretchen's Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure, I kept Zoey confined to her hutch for a week. I wanted to make sure she was not being over active. I'm not really sure what they recommend.

Gretchen shouldn't be allowed to jump or really run for a week or so, but hopping around a bit is fine. I had troublekeepingPipp quiet. She went flying off the bed the second day once she got over the post surgery pain, no ill effects though.

BTW, who's your vet? We should make sure they are listed in our Resource Center. :)

And for the record, there are people who feel very strongly that pain meds should be freely given to bunnies, and others who think the opposite. As I noted in myearlier post, the common oral pain meds have to be taken with food in the first place and cancause a tummy upsetand thus a loss of appetite, butso does pain.

I've been meaning to ask Angela aboutFey'sproblem with Medicam. Did she take it with food? Was she eating before she took it and then stopped?

sas

Sure!!

My vet is Dr. Todd Riggan, DVM

Pflugerville, Texas (Austin Metro Area)

I'll probably keep Getchen in her cage for about a week then. She likes to jump on things.

Pipp wrote:
I've been meaning to ask Angela aboutFey'sproblem with Medicam. Did she take it with food? Was she eating before she took it and then stopped?
She would eat before she had it. Pellets, hay, veggies, she was wolfing down anything and everything within an hour after her surgery (stitched back up after a fight). When I gave meds, I would give some greens, and then the meds mixed in pumpkin because she ate that willingly. Then I'd give her the rest of her greens and pellets. Within an hour she'd look a little woozy and stop eating and usually wouldn't poop either. About 10-12 hours later she'd start eating and pooping again and get more active. She was getting Meticam once a day and Baytril twice a day, and she would still eat normally after getting her Baytril. It took me 2-3 days to figure out why the poor girl was feeling so bad for half the day. I stopped giving her Meticam and the problem didn't return.

Fey has a pretty sensitive GI tract though. Towards the end of her week-long course of Baytril she started getting mushy, mucous-covered poops. She also gets mushy poops and runny cecals from alfalfa, even in really small amounts. Sprite is the same way. Even their "normal" poops aren't really a normal shape or a regular size. I suspect that they have megacolon or something similar.

I talked to the vet today and he said to keep her confined for about a week.

She seems to be fine. She sure is doing a lot of dead bunny flops. I guess that is good.

Here's some pictures of her and her rice sock.

182935176_14e98de6b9_m.jpg

182935259_523ae7999d_m.jpg

Zoey did a lot of DBF's as well, I'm guessing it was just the most comfortable position to be in.

Latest posts

Back