Gretchen's Biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenni

Reaction score
Gretchen is adorable. She jumps on thecouch with me and cuddles while I rub her head. She licks myarm and hand thankfully too--we take turns. I pet her, shelicks me....and then everything changes. She will then startbouncing around me and climbing on me, biting my clothes and handsetc. It is really unnerving. She goesfromsweet bunny to bad biting bunny in a second. Iusually have to put her in her cage when she starts this, because shewon't stop.

She is approaching sexual maturity and wondered if this behavior hassomething to do with that. I am not sure how old she is, butsuspect she's about 4 months. I plan on getting her spayedthis summer.

My mini-Rex Dill is like that. He just has an odd way of showing affection.:biggrin

He's over two, but I don't know how much human interaction (or whatkind) hehad before I got him a few months ago.:dunno He was rescued from a tiny, horrible cage in a shed,but he had only been there six months. (Andsomedays I know why hewas in the shed!)

I justkeep gently saying 'no!', while detaching him from thebody part,petting him and kissing him.

He'sa very odd duck -- er, bunny.Henuzzles, but doesn't lick/groom, and when he seems like hereally wants to nuzzle and groom, he jumps up on my head and startsfuriously digging my hair instead. :scared:

And he ALWAYS comes bounding over to me whenever he sees me and startspawing at my leg (although he most certainly doesn't want tobepicked him up). and as his excitement level increases, hebites my clothes, andputs his teeth into whatever body partis handy. (Although he won'tbite myface). During his 'active' timesof the day, he'sinsane.:disgust

So Gretchen probably just loves you. :inlove:

PS: It made me feel better that when he started bonding with his littlegf, Sherry (ugh, I hate admitting that he'sdumped for anothergirl!), he started doing the same thing to her. But as soonas he realized he was hurting her (he seemed surprised), hestopped.So I thinkhe just doesn't knowhowto interact, which is likely the same withGretchen. She just has to learn. But don't have anyless interaction with her because of it.Probably alittle more will help. :)

PPS: Pipp's fav pasttime is digging at my clothes, too, thesedays, but that's my fault. Her favourite 'toy' is a littleblanket I keep on my lap for her to dig and chew. It took abit toexplain the different between HER blanket, the goodblanket (Ilost that one) and my clothes (she has that onedown).

sas :), pipp :bunny19, dill :bunnyheart:)craziness), radar and darry:toastingbunsand sherry :tonguethe interloper

Thanks Pipp and Angieluv, your comments werevery helpful. I thought it might be luv/babybiting. It doesn't really hurt. It just makes me alittle nervous.

I doubt a kitten or puppy would be as well-behaved as Gretchenalready is. She is so adorable.

Pebbles has a hard time finding out whats clothand what's under my clothes.. She doesn't understand how she can ripand tear at her blanket then come and do the same thing to mommy'sshirtand hear shrieks... :ponder:. Hehe. I have to watch herwhen she gets a little to playfull.. :D

Pepsi does her little love nips that are sort of annoying, where shenips up and down my arm, she's been doing it since she was a baby :).

I think it's just her way of telling you she loves you! :D

I guess it is nipping and NOT biting. I've been reading a little about biting and that sounds pretty scary.

I think she will learn not to, grow out of it, or I'll get used to it.

Thanks everybunny!

Jenni + Gretchen Bun

I've ben bit pretty badly by Pebbles a few times(I guess it's my own fault because Pebble's can get a bit fiestysometimes). Her scratching is worse though! She has extremely sharpnails.. My hands are all scratched up! Last night I got two huge cutson the backs of my hands one on my palm and my hands were bleeding likecrazy. When I hold her on my bed and she struggles I just try to puther down easy at my fault.. being badly scratched. Oh well! :D

I only got bit badly once from a rabbit at theshelter...it made me afraid to get near the rabbit. That only happenedonce in my life: none of my rabbits have done anything butnip. Your rabbit is probably just nipping.

Latest posts

Back