Grazer vs. Greedy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunlow

Lunlow
Reaction score
Hey! I have two young, bonded females (fixed), and I have a small complication when it comes to feeding... the dominant bun is very food-orientated, but the submissive bun isn't at all. She grazes throughout the day, and when separated for spaying/bonded, ate throughout the day rather than all at once, like the other bun. Now that they are together, I have to make sure she gets her lot of the food, usually by placing one bowl outside the hutch for the greedy bun and one inside for the grazing bun. It seems to work. They drink and eat veggies from 1 bowl, however.

Is there a better way of ensuring she gets enough food, or is this the best way? She seems to know that food will disappear quick when the other bun is involved and makes sure she eats, but is there something more I can do? I don't want her to go hungry.

Thanks, ~lunlow. :)

Are they getting hay? Is it available 24/7?
What kind of pellets are being fed and how much?
There is always fresh hay available 24/7, which they both eat throughout the day, and they eat 140grams (70g in each bowl, or 70g each, which is the recommended feed on the bag) of Supreme's Selective pellets, white and teal green bag, if that helps. They get 140grams a day, along with hay and veggies. Should I still be worried?

You could try separating the two, maybe just for a little while to make sure it’s definitely the other rabbit eating hers, she might be feeling sick and has lost her appetite. If she’s eating all her food comfortably on her own, maybe consider separating them while they eat :)

You could try separating the two, maybe just for a little while to make sure it’s definitely the other rabbit eating hers, she might be feeling sick and has lost her appetite. If she’s eating all her food comfortably on her own, maybe consider separating them while they eat :)
Aye, that's a good idea. Thanks a lot. :)

Assuming your rabbits are over 6 months of age, they would be on an adult diet. That means limited pellets. Since they have unlimited hay and daily greens as recommended, the amount of pellets should be determined based on the weight of each rabbit. (The amounts recommended on pellet bags is usually exaggerated -- the company, after all, want you to use it up as quickly as possible so that you'll have to buy more!)

These are the recommended amount of pellets by weight:
5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

Converting to metric, your current feeding amount is 5/8 cup, or enough for a rabbit that weighs more than 10 lbs (4.5 kg).

Average rabbits are in the 5-7 lb range (2.25 - 3 kg). They should get just 32 grams each per day.

All that :p to say that you can cut way back on the amount of pellets currently being fed. "Greedy" will get overweight quickly if he continues to eat too many pellets. "Grazer" is probably getting all she needs. Still, you could separate them just for when they are eating pellets. It isn't critical that they eat any pellets anyway. The hay and greens are more important. Some even advocate pellet-free diets.

Once the pellet amount is cut back (assuming your rabbits are not over 10 lbs each), and once she realizes she's only getting a limited amount, then "Grazer" may start eating the pellets all at one time. If she does, that would make it easier to separate them during feeding.

Assuming your rabbits are over 6 months of age, they would be on an adult diet. That means limited pellets. Since they have unlimited hay and daily greens as recommended, the amount of pellets should be determined based on the weight of each rabbit. (The amounts recommended on pellet bags is usually exaggerated -- the company, after all, want you to use it up as quickly as possible so that you'll have to buy more!)

These are the recommended amount of pellets by weight:
5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

Converting to metric, your current feeding amount is 5/8 cup, or enough for a rabbit that weighs more than 10 lbs (4.5 kg).

Average rabbits are in the 5-7 lb range (2.25 - 3 kg). They should get just 32 grams each per day.

All that :p to say that you can cut way back on the amount of pellets currently being fed. "Greedy" will get overweight quickly if he continues to eat too many pellets. "Grazer" is probably getting all she needs. Still, you could separate them just for when they are eating pellets. It isn't critical that they eat any pellets anyway. The hay and greens are more important. Some even advocate pellet-free diets.

Once the pellet amount is cut back (assuming your rabbits are not over 10 lbs each), and once she realizes she's only getting a limited amount, then "Grazer" may start eating the pellets all at one time. If she does, that would make it easier to separate them during feeding.
Ahh, thanks so much! That helps a lot. I didn't know adults had less pellets, actually, but I will definitely cut back. The vet didn't really specify grams when I asked, but that's so informative!

Neither seems overweight or underweight, and they are both dwarfs, so cutting back would probably help.

I've been giving less pellets recently anyway, especially now it's getting warm and some doesn't get eaten, but thanks so much for all the help!! :) :)

Latest posts

Back