Grass vs Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggy_

Reaction score
So I am just wondering, my rabbits don't get much hay, however they do fine with the pellets they get. They also get quite a bit of chard , as it something they all agree upon, usually 2-3 large leaves per day. I am interested in increasing their consumption to include more grass and chard as a alternative to pellets.
I realize any change is gradual, and they will always have unlimited pellets, but each week i will be increasing their grass/chard/microgreen count slowly. But is there a limit of what I should supply them?
But i guess i am wondering is it a good idea to provide unlimited grass and unlimited pellets. is there such thing as too much grass for them if they navigate away from the pellets. I guess i wonder how much sqft of grass i should dedicate to them.

Also is hay better than grass, I read that grass is better than hay, is this true? I'd also think about incorporating microgreens to their diet, but I wonder how many grams per day a 12 lbs rabbit would want to eat, and does that include roots? Can/will they even eat roots?

Pls feel free to elaborate on this topic.
Thanks!

There is no such thing as too much grass and weeds and leafs (fresh or dried->hay). That's the most natural way to feed a rabbit, that is what they evolved for. Hay, or forage, should never run out if it is the staple food. My herd of, at the time 11, have forage 24/7, changed twice a day. In winter it's hay, some veggies and whatever they find outside.
I feed pellets at treat level, as reward for returning to their hutches or into the house, small handfull for a pair of 9-10lbs rabbits.

But this isn't the only way feed rabbits, not everyone has the resources, options and time (or place for such an impressive compost pile like mine :D) to keep up that kind of diet. There also isn't a single "right" diet. It all depends what on fits your situation.
Feeding rabbits isn't rocket science, but there are things to consider:
Rabbits need fiber for their digestion to work properly, a diet that isn't too rich in proteins and calories (they evolved on a meager fare), and some food should be available all the time (hay is the best and most convinient option for that).
My personal opinion is, the more diverse the diet, the better.
Any changes need to be made gradually.

There are arguments against grass and forage, like when you live in an area with a wild rabbit population and the possibility of diseaases. Hay, leafy greens, pellets are suitable alternatives to put together a healthy diet.

"Pellets" is just an umbrella term, what is in them counts. It can be high protein food to get rabbits to butcher weight in 10 weeks, or it can be formulated more for a pet rabbits needs. Most are meant as a supplement to a hay based diet, not so much as sole staple food.
Be aware that there is a lot of marketing going on, applying common sense is advised ;), even rather awful colourful muesli mixes with whole kernels of corn are sold as "healthy rabbit food"....

A good read about feeding rabbits:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Last edited:
You should be giving your rabbits constant hay access because it helps file their teeth down and keeps their digestive system working. You can supplement with grass and microgreens but keep constant hay access

Latest posts

Back