Got Ears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yurusumaji

Young Blood
Reaction score
Michiko's Gotcha Day: October 29th, 2009. She turned 3 months old on October 28th, 2009.

Michiko is a cream English Lop doe. She came from a breeder as a disqualified show rabbit, but she's loved here.

Michiko is a Japanese name. It means "beauty, wisdom".

Her first night home we set up her room and realized there's more to be done. Isn't there always? She got run of the house until we went to bed. She is incredibly inquisitive and adorable. She likes to stand up on her hind legs and look around. My husband says she looks like a long-eared prairie dog. :biggrin2:

I have wanted an English Lop since I was 16, I turned 22 on October 26th, 2009.

She will hold a special place in our hearts like all of our babies do, but maybe a little more-so for me because I have been waiting for so long.

m8lqc2.jpg

2qn8gsw.jpg

34j9edv.jpg

ncf29f.jpg

20jfj9i.jpg

1z3osjq.jpg

2cmpw8z.jpg

nogew1.jpg

First off Happy Belated Birthday!!! :birthday

And 2nd i am so happy u have finally got your heart bunny!!!
:yahoo:

Today we learned that Michiko is nocturnal and will have no part of my human ogling during her sleepytime. I even snatched her from her bed and brought her out to the living room, hoping to tempt her into some good, old-fashioned play and exercise. She thanked me by urinating on the carpet and promptly hopping back to her bed. I snuck in some couch-bound snuggly time with her, but the dogs began to bark so I allowed her to return to her own bed where the disturbance would be less.

mmdd08.jpg

10ct0t3.jpg

We are working on litter training, but she was a little bit cheesed when I burst into her room with some sort of rough, hairy contraption and touched all of her things with it. I mean, how dare I? Seriously.

ac3p8k.jpg

She offered me another pee for this disturbance and then decided she'd come touch all of my things and see how I like it. She wasn't prepared for my approval. Muwahaha!

2lmwahf.jpg

n37tkj.jpg

She binkied. I was ecstatic, as I have never in all my life seen a rabbit binky. I was actually quite heavily impacted by the sight and I hope to acquire some sort of recording device so that I may someday catch said spectacle, share it with the world and also keep it forever.

While I was typing this, she decided she wanted to offer us all one more fantastic photographic moment. She has a water bottle in her room, though it seems she may not even know how to use it or understand what it is for. I am quite glad I let her out to roam, as she spotted herself a watering hole.

2rqk3ub.jpg

25sstqs.jpg

My dogs are pretty good at sharing amongst the family, so I don't think they'll be upset. However, I do think they would be quite confused at the sight of the newcomer having a go at their watering hole. I don't think I'll tell them about the treachery afoot.

We have secured some plexiglass in front of the exposed wires of the computer so that Little Miss Curious may investigate without being in harm's way or causing damage to our rather expensive equipment. We also got more supplies for flooring her room, so that we may reclaim our towels.

I have to admit that I could not be more happy with our decision to bring an English Lop into our home. I am happy as could be with my amusingly curious and strong-headed rabbit. I can already tell that she is going to enrich our lives for many years to come.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I have found my e-lop to be close to the way you described yours. A good friend told me there is rabbit proofing and then there is e-lop proofing a room.
I owe special thanks to you for telling me what to watch for. :) Thank you so much.

Our plexiglass held up for one whole night, then she discovered she can get back there if she takes the scenic route behind the tv. LOL! We had to shoo her out and use what we had available to block that off, too. :biggrin2:

She is so inquisitive. She spends a ton of time up on her hind legs, scoping things out. Looking around for the next barrier to tumble! LOL!

At least the bathroom was easy to EL-proof!

Today Michiko discovered the joy of jumping into the dogs' toy box. Then jumping out of it and running around the back of the tv, looking for trouble. Lol! What a total nerd.

We had to shoo her out of her own room while we did some remodeling. It's not done, but here is what we have so far:

The left side of the room.
2hd8pzp.jpg

Front and center.
15wjqlu.jpg

The right side.
jiz8cl.jpg

We are going to get more mat to put where that blue towel is and that will complete the flooring. So far so good on that end. No chewing of the mat. Let's hope she sticks to that attitude.

For the right side I have several larger than life cardboard boxes broken down in a closet from the move. I'll be turning one of them into a large cardboard hut for her with some fleece bedding.

I'll have more photos tomorrow night once those things are finished. I need to find more things for her to chew on as well. I'm open to suggestions.

The room is done. For now. Toys and chews need to be added, but the actual room is complete!

2zreq6g.jpg

2cn9klx.jpg

sc3nfk.jpg

The dogs' bathing system is set up in her bath tub. As it turns out this works well. Hubbs took Kuma in there for a bath today and he stood up on his hind legs to watch Michiko the whole time and she did the same to him. LOL. Bathing Kuma has never been so easy!

:inlove:

Yurusumaji wrote:
This picture reminds me of a shampoo commercial when the woman has just done a hair flip so that you can marvel at how beautiful the shampoo has made her hair. Love it!

She is so beautiful! I'm definitely going to get an English lop between Michiko and Miss Daisy.

What kind of mat are you using in her room? It looks kind of like a yoga mat.

Between you & Dave & Bassetluv's Yofi - I am wanting an English lop so bad....they look like such fun.

Congrats on getting your heart bunny - I look forward to seeing more pictures and posts!

It is a yoga mat. :) It's called DanSkin and we got 4 mats with a little left over to cover the whole bathroom at $10 each. They come in purple and green. :)

She does this crazy run-and-slide move, which causes her ear to flop over to the other side. I think it's so flirty-looking. Ha ha!

TinysMom wrote:
Between you & Dave & Bassetluv's Yofi - I am wanting an English lop so bad....they look like such fun.

Congrats on getting your heart bunny - I look forward to seeing more pictures and posts!
Thank you. EL's are fantastic bunnies! :inlove:

I have to say of all the bunnies I have had, Michiko easily has the most personality. She is a riot and very smart!

Yurusumaji wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Thank you. EL's are fantastic bunnies! :inlove:

I have to say of all the bunnies I have had, Michiko easily has the most personality. She is a riot and very smart!
Daisy is too, she doesn't have a litterbox in her cage but when she is out, she will use the litterbox I have in the corner.

We're still working on in-room litter box training. LOL. She's quite the stubborn little one. :p

Funny thing is she won't really potty when she's out - she'll always go back to her room to do it. She's such a weirdy. :rofl:

So now that I've gotten the bunny room done and have given everyone [including myself] a thorough introduction to Michiko, I suppose I'll introduce you to everyone else. Have it be known though, Michiko may have been the last in but she's my heart bunny - she rules the roost. ;)

Let's start with the humans. There's only 2 of us.

r20och.jpg

Me and my hubbs, September 24th, 2009. This was his Airman Leadership School Graduation where he was honored with the Levitow Award for being the top graduate in his class. He not only had the highest GPA exiting the class, but Levitow also honors him for being a shining example of what an Airman ought to be.

I am actually nearly bald now, sporting a military-style cut. It's a long story.

Apollo. American Eskimo/Pomeranian [coined a 'Pomimo']. Male. Born September 16th, 2008.

He was born with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy - HOD. I gave him an incredibly high-protein kibble as a pup which triggered it to flare and from 11 weeks to 6 months old I fought to keep him alive and comfortable. I owe a lot to the vet who went the extra mile to diagnose him and make sure she was treating him properly. She saved his life and I could never repay her for the gift she gave us.

Apollo @ 6 months old.
ou2tmo.jpg

Apollo today.
rsybds.jpg

Kuma. Pomeranian. Male. Born December 9th, 2008.

He is from a Show Breeder as a disqualification on a pet-only contract. He's healthy other than having a sensitive digestive system. He also loves everyone and everything, unlike his older brother. He could easily be coined the happiest dog alive. His face never seems to be doing anything but smiling.

2d7sbur.jpg

Kami & Yasuo. Males. Sugar Gliders. Age Unknown.

These guys are hilarious [if not sometimes annoying] pets. They are very curious and are still somewhat 'under the radar' as pets, but are quickly growing in popularity. Their care is more high-maintenance than your basic rodent, thus these guys get rehomed fairly often due to people not doing proper research. They are nocturnal, waking up anytime between 7-9 p.m. and going back to sleep in one of their pouches anytime between 6-7 a.m. They have to have a special wheel and pouches and they also have to have a homemade diet versus the bagged diets we feed our rabbits and rodents.

2ev5llf.jpg

Phoenix. Female. Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure. Hatched on April 28th, 2009.

Phoenix is daddy's girl. She loves to bite our fingers, ears, wedding rings and necks. She also loves chewing on daddy's glasses and gaming controllers. She's got some antics that would have you rolling on the floor before long, but her favorite thing is to be on or near her people. She also likes the dogs.

eafgg6.jpg

Robo and Samson. Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters. Males. Age Unknown.

Who can say no to hamsters? I have never owned Robos before, so when I saw these guys I couldn't help myself! I originally only had Robo, but he wouldn't eat or run on his wheel. After 2 days of watching him sulk we got him a friend named Jasper. A mere 48 hours after bringing Jasper home we rushed him to the vet for emergency care, but he did not make it through the night. I wasn't going to get another as I was incredibly heartbroken after Jasper's untimely passing, but hubbs insisted we try again. That's where Samson comes in and it's been good tidings ever since.

Robo
ibctvo.jpg

Samson
1z2fxp2.jpg

That's my furry and feathery family. It's crowded in here, but I have to admit I feel right at home being surrounded by the craziness that goes on.

I hope you enjoyed the guided tour of my zoo! Come back soon now! :bunnydance:

Cute pic of youand hubby:)

Apollo is beautiful! so is Kuma :)

The sugar gliders are awesome and soooo cute. I love birds. I would love to have an exotic bird but I know they live long and are lots of work. Phoneix is adorable. Your hamsters look so little. I had a hamster when I was younger. They are the coolest little things.

Kelli, You have a beautiful Pet Family! :biggrin2:

SweetSassy wrote:
Cute pic of youand hubby:)

Apollo is beautiful! so is Kuma :)

The sugar gliders are awesome and soooo cute. I love birds. I would love to have an exotic bird but I know they live long and are lots of work. Phoneix is adorable. Your hamsters look so little. I had a hamster when I was younger. They are the coolest little things.

Kelli, You have a beautiful Pet Family! :biggrin2:
Thank you so much! :biggrin2:

It gets a little nutty around here, but you know I just wouldn't have it any other way.

OMG the pics r great... I think there might b programs or support groups for animal oholics lol You do have a lovely family!!!!

Latest posts

Back