got culture results back...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
So the vet just got the culture we sent out on Kahlua last week and it came back positive for Pastuerella.She was telling me how we could treat it with baytril and gentamycin drops until this "outbreak" subsides but that she will always have it and when she is stressed out or if her immune system is ever less than it should be the infection will come back. I am ok with this and am starting treatment tomorrow morning but I would like some info from people living with rabbits that have pastuerella. Is the treatment for an outbreak always the same? Is there anything else I can give her, maybe some herbal supplements to help boost her immune system and keep her healthy?

I get a bit confused on Pastuerella. When we had cultures done on Max (who had severe nasal/respiratory problems as well as tooth root abscesses) we were told he had pastuerella. However, he never had the thick white discharge and he it apparently wasnt contagious because his Buddy Basil never got sick.

I think a lot of vets are a little unclear on Pastuerella and what makes it something curable v something lifelong.

What is her discharge like? I wouldnt get too discouraged as I definitely think this is managable.

Ever since i broughther home she sneezes veryvery often. She also usually has a whitish discharge comingfrom nose. She was treated for it once with gentamycine dropsand baytril for 10 days and it improved but never ocmpletely wentaway. This second time we sent out a culture and determinedit was pasteurella so we are now on gentamycin nose drops and baytrilfor 14 day.s The vet said it is a lifelong thing and everything i'veread concurs with her, basically stating that any time she is stressedor has a compromised immune system she will have a "relapse".I am not too stressed about it, i feel like it's something i can manageand I have an advantage of working at a vet clinic where i have lots ofdoctors and tools i can access when needed. it just kindasucks because i wanted to get another rabbit but i dont feelcomfortable exposing another rabbit to it since i cant be sure ofwhether or not he/she would catch it.

I would ask about maybe getting a bigger supply of the meds (if you work there will they just sell you it at manufacturer price?) or through 1800pet meds or something. That way you could just treat it whenever it develops..

That stinks about getting her a friend though. I know a lot of people who have risked it and bought a friend, sometimes the friend wont ever show symptoms, it just depends. But I understand your concerns. Taking care of a sick bunny can be a lot of work.

We're here for you if you need anything.

Haley wrote:
I get a bit confused on Pastuerella. When we had cultures done on Max(who had severe nasal/respiratory problems as well as tooth root abscesses) we were told he had pastuerella. However, he never had the thick white discharge and he it apparently wasnt contagious because his Buddy Basil never got sick.

I think a lot of vets are a little unclear on Pastuerella and what makes it something curable v something lifelong.

What is her discharge like? I wouldnt get too discouraged as I definitely think this is managable.

Pasteurella is a normal inhabitant of the nasal passages of most rabbits. Stress or illness or injurycan result in the excess colonization of Pasteurella in other areas of the body,causing serious infection.

"Pasteurella bacteria are part of the natural oral, respiratory,genital, and gastrointestinal floras of various wild and domestic animals; for example, P. multocida ssp. gallicida is most frequently isolated from birds and occasionally from pigs, and P.multocida subsp. septica is isolated from cats more than from dogs and infrequently from humans. Some of these bacteria are also considered pathogenic to animals and even humans."SourceLink

Also:
Pasteurellosis in Rabbits (Warning! There are some photos of graphic nature on this site)

Pam

thank you all for your replies. it really helps to know there are people who have dealt with this and are knowledgeable about it.

so i have started Kahlua on echinacea to try and boost her immune system. right now i am giving 1 capsule 2times a day. i sprinkle it on baby food and she eats it right up. i think i am going to do it for 2 weeks and then give her a break since you're not supposed to give echinacea long term.

Latest posts

Back