Got a new puppy - desperately need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I've been wanting a puppy for a long time and I finally got hubby on board but he didn't want the dog I wanted - I like big dogs, he likes small. I wanted a Bernese Mountain pup and he didn't. We found a farmer who had a miniature American Eskimo mix 3 month old pup (yeah I know bad idea now that I think back.)

We brought him home on July 18 and he was very shy & clingy, not very puppy behaviour. He hated his crate, howls all night and tries to claw & bite his way out of his crate. He hadn't gotten his shots, so on July 20 he got his heartworm, flea & something else "pill" - they didn't want to give him the shots yet since he wan't eating much then. The following monday, I have to bring him to the vets cuz he's vomitting and not eating. He's got Parvo - the dog virus - I thought it was relatively mild but he spent the week at the vets on IV drip & anti-nausea meds. It ended up costing me more for this mutt than it would have cost me for the vaccinated pure-bred. Anyway - water under the bridge now but he was probably sick when we got him. Here's my problem...

Dogs aren't supposed to do their business where they sleep and at 3 months he should be able to hold it for at least a few hours but he constantly pees & poops in his cage - it is suited to his size but I'm now wondering two thing.

1- could he have had a bad experience with a crate/cage and now he loathes it? He won't stay quiet in it at all - I feel bad because he's next to the rabbits (I feel so bad for them now) -

2- could it be because he was away from his mom way too early to learn good puppy manners? Is this fixable for the potty training? he hates going outside to do his business and doesn't seem to learn where to go (American Eskimo dogs are supposed to be highly trainable dogs too) - now I'm limited too cuz if I go for a walk he'll do his business pretty much each time - but since I'm quaranteened to my backyard for the next 3 weeks because he's still contageous, he won't go there and tries to rush inside as soon as he's outside.

I need potty training help - I have the pads & the spray so he won,t go back to the bad spot. I stop him mid-pee or poo and put him on the pad but he still goes elsewhere.

For the crate & the all-night howling I'm at wits end (when the kids go back to school he'll be in there during the day and he needs to learn to stay quiet) - if I get a mattress & lay with him, he's quiet and will sleep through the night but as soon as he's in his crate, he cries.

Please help

He was introduced rather suddenly to the crate. I didn't realize at that time that it had to be done slowly. I've tried re-introducing him, he just hates it and instantly tries to get out again. I tried staying nearby when he's in it, he looks like Cujo in there biting at the bars and barks like crazy anyways.

When he barks, we try to ignore him - it wears on the nerves though. Last night I had a wicked headache and ended up sleeping on a mattress next to his cage and let him out cuz I couldn't stand it any more.

However, if he didn't bark so much, and only barked to be let out it would be easier to know when he needs to go bathroom, as it stands, I don,t know when he needs to go and end up letting him out every few hours. He goes outside, he does nothing and I put him back in the cage again. Whereas he starts howling and barking again. He then ends up soiling his cage and stepping/laying in it. We went out for a few hours, came back and he'd pooped all over his cage and laid in it and stepped in it.

He just ALWAYS needs to be near someone, you move, he moves - I think he was taken away from his mom WAY too early.

Hey Tweetiepy, how much attention does your doggy get during the day? :3

I've got a maltese shih tzu who will throw up and cry if she is left alone at any time. When she is home by herself I have to leave her inside with the t.v on or she will start having panic attacks. (Believe me, when we moved into our house she kept getting locked in the bathroom and the ammount of puppy puke I cleaned up...)

Anyway, maybe he is just desperate for some loving? n_n
I'm not an expert but it's always worked with my howling doggies.

As for the peeing pooping, ninja never used to use her pad either and she'd pee whenever she was excited. We took her too the vet and it turned out she had something wrong with her bladder!

Either way good luck with your new puppy! I'm sure in time things will get better n_n

I used to leave the radio on (he's downstairs with the rabbits - everyone is in separate cages). And I left a light on, but he still barks. During the day we're always with him - checking to see if he's gonna pee somewhere. He's a very calm puppy, we had company over, he didn't bark when the doorbell rang, and he just calmly went up to each person to sniff & get a pet.

Last night we MIGHT have a bit of progress. I left nothing in his cage, no bed, cuz he chewed all the stuffing out of it, and he cried for a while, then he stopped. I heard him whine a bit around 3:30 and I put him on leash - otherwise he heads straight back for the door once he's outside - and he peed & pooped in the yard. I brought him back inside and I slept on the mattress with him - I didn't want to put him back in his cage after he pooped, it seemed like that would be a bad thing for him. He slept till my clock went off at 6AM and went outside again for a pee.

I'm hoping this is progress, but being at work I can't train him. The kids are doing that but they're not as vigilant and the TV tends to get more attention so they do miss the signs that he's about to go potty in the house.

You should definately have him spend a lot of time in his crate, even after he poops. Laying in bed is a privelage and needs to be earned over a period of time of consistent good habits. He also needs to like his crate, and feel like it's his "special place".

My puppy Duke is now 3.5 months old and loves his crate. Because we live in a town house and have crabby neighbours, we first put his crate in thebasement so any noise he made wouldn't disturb the peace. He barked and whined for about half an hour each time. After a couple of weeks, he was getting the hang of going outside to do his business, and we moved his crate up to the livingroom as a reward. He is quiet in the livingroom and started to go into his crate by himself, and on demand. A few weeks later, he again got rewarded by having a second crate put in the bedroom where he can sleep with the family. I let him lay in bed with me for a few minutes each night because he's earned it, and then he goes back to his crate.

Latest posts

Back