Got a new bunny!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitluvr04

Reaction score
We went to the indoor swapmeet and we went intothe petstore, they had a bunny there that must only be about 4 weeksold....So we got it! Because it was so small and we didnt want it toget into the wrong hands. But it has a tiny cold with a little yellowdischarge but has a clean bottom and clear eyes...my question is...isthis just a cold? We are going for a vet check up tommorow.

aww..congrats on the new babe! ..i dun know muchabout the cold situation but when Vicky had a lil one they put her onSMZ for a week and it cleared up with no problem.

Congrats on the new addtion to your family :p

If the discharge is yellow, I'd take her to the vet. And keepher away from your other buns until you know what it is.Colored, gooey or smelly discharge is a reason for concern.Good luck :) Keep us posted

Congrats on the new bunny!

The vet visit is a good idea. The mucus could be a sign ofinfection. It could also be from allergies, but rabbits thatare that young can be under a lot of stress which does a number ontheir immune systems. Hopefully it will clear up with a fewtreatments.

what is parturella? Well there is not a lot of discharge and it is mostly clear now. What is SMZ?

Edit: Could If have a runny nose because it so hot outside? I heardthat heat can give them runny noses.? Yesterday it was above 100*

thanks!

Dont take me for 100% on this ..but pasturella is like bunny pneumonia...??

SMZ is a sulfonamide antibiotic....a pretty strong one at that fortreating but not limited to respiratory infection, pnuemonia(PCP)and urinary tract infections. it was commonly used inppl but not so much anymore as many had rxn's to it and it interactswith alot of other drugs, herbal supplemnts and adminsteredsteroids/hormones specifically estrogen.

Pasteurella (snuffles) is a bacteria that caninfect the upper respiratory system (nose and such), and tearducts. It can also infect the inner ear and wounds, causingabcesses, but that is not the problem here. Most rabbits arecarriers of it, but stress or injury can cause it to be moreaggressive. Some strains are more virulent and will causeillness on contact. It can be treated withantibiotics. If you want to read a bit on it, try thesearticles.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/pasteurella.html
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

rabbitluvr04 wrote:
We went to the indoor swapmeet and we went into thepetstore, they had a bunny there that must only be about 4 weeksold....So we got it! Because it was so small and we didnt want it toget into the wrong hands. But it has a tiny cold with a little yellowdischarge but has a clean bottom and clear eyes...my question is...isthis just a cold? We are going for a vet check up tommorow.

Make sure to let us know what the vet said - but I'd definitelyquarrantine the rabbit from your current rabbits so they don't getanything.

And Congrats on your new bunny....

Peg

if I take pics and get them developed can i justscan them onto the computer???? because I want to put pics of all myrabbits on here.

Edit: the discharge is now pretty much a clear liquid, but not verymuch of it. But we are taking her to the vet today to make sure.

Hi rabbitluvr,

One thing I wanted to suggest to you...until your bunny is vetted andpasteurella is ruled out, try not to handle him/her before handlingyour other rabbits. Take care of them first (i.e., cage cleaning,feeding, watering, etc.) first, then make the new rabbit the last onthe list. Wash your hands in-between handling the buns...if it ispasteurella that he/she has, it can be easily transmitted via humancontact from one rabbit to the next.

Here's hoping he/she is okay...and congrats on the new edition!

~Di

***About pics...if you have a scanner you can scan hard copies andupload them to a photo webhost site, such as photobucket or tinypic(?).Once they are uploaded to the site (those sites are free to register),just copy the url and you can post it here...

When you take your film in, you can request aphoto cd. I've had this done at Walmart a couple oftimes. You'll still need to resize the photos before postingthem, though.

Latest posts

Back