Got a new bun, poops everywhere.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
I adopted a new bun recently, she's a mini lop and probably half a year to 1 year older then my 7 month old holland. The bond is going so great that they are already living together in the same cage but I'm still watching closely. She was described as mellow but she perked up insanely the last few days. She mounts my male like crazy and he lets her so she is definitely the dominant one and he's submissive.

She was said to have great litter habits and always keeps her space clean. She's not bad about peeing, she seems to do that well in the litter box but I can tell she's scattering a poop here and there all over. I wake up and there's about 12-20 poops scattered and sometimes a small pile throughout the cage and outside the cage:sweep. During playtime outside the cage she does small binkys, swishes her tail and then proceeds to drop a poop in random spots.

I'm assuming this is her marking her territory or a so called "poop war"? My male is still great with his litter habits since the change, makes all his goings in the box which I'm thankful for. Will this poop scatter die down after time when she settles in more and then do her business in the box more? I know you can't tell me for sure but is this a common a phase with bonding new buns? I'm pretty OCD about keeping my room and things clean so I'm constantly scooping the new ones up and placing them in the litter box.:litterhealthy:

( to add, yes they are both spayed and neutered )

Also can I ask one more thing, about feedings.. She's a very quick eater so when I feed veggies she eats her portion up first and then proceeds to go and try and eat the rest of Claudios ( my male ). I supervise and don't let her eat his but do most of you who have bonded buns just feed veggies on one plate and have them go at it?

Last edited:
Since she is the dominant one, I would say that it definitely is her marking her territory and claiming it, I should think that it will settle down a little with time.

My buns also had a "poop war" for about two weeks when they were bonding. I was so relieved when it subsided! I would just be patient, and keep doing what you're doing.

I take the pee part back, during playtime she decided to mark a nice spot on the carpet and her litter box was only a foot away. When I cleaned the fleece blanket floorings I also noticed it was covered in pee stains. The fleece soaked and dried it up so well that I would have never known till I saw it in sunlight.

I'm soaking what I can catch into a paper towel and placing it in the litter box then using vinegar to cover odor up, she has used the box to leave waste so she knows where that is. I'm so thankful my little guy is on excellent behavior even after this big change. I just hope she pulls around soon and starts peeing and pooping in the box strictly. She has so much mounting and marking energy that I'm surprised she's spayed, least that's is what they told me, lol :p. She circles like a male around me and Claudio that it's like it will never quit..she was said to be mellow but maybe this change sparked her personality?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back