Goose's nail is missing and he's bleeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterscotch

Reaction score
Hello,

Just a few minutes ago I picked up Goose to groom him and clip his nails and I before I began, I noticed one of my fingers had blood on it. I had just clipped my dogs' nails so I thought maybe I had cut one of theirs too short which seemed odd because I was sure I hadn't. So while holding Goose to my chest, I rinsed off my hand and then took him outside to groom him. He doesn't like to be held but he doesn't try to escape and he was acting normal in my lap as I groomed him. I was watching my dogs walk around on the patio and I didnt see any blood so I figured it had to have come from Goose. I don't normally handle him very much, he doesn't like it at all. But I had to find the blood so I inspected him all over, even in his mouth, and found no blood. I was very clumsy about this, I admit, but I was sitting on the patio and he never struggled, he just took it in stride.

When I started clipping his nails I found that the inner most nail on his left front paw was completely missing and that's where he was bleeding from. It appears that the nail was ripped out completely. He seems to be acting normal, eating pellets, accepting kisses from his girlfriend, and the bleeding has stopped. He's not leaving any traces of blood when he hops around and he is hopping around, so he's active. When I put him in his play pen after discovering the missing nail, he groomed his front paws and then settled into an awkward looking position on his side and then just laid there breathing really fast. He's not doing that anymore though, right now he's grooming Butterscotch. Oh wait...now he's in his litter box...oh wait again...now he's eating pellets... He's very active, clearly.

What do I need to do for him?? Does he need medical attention or antibiotics or will this heal on its own? I believe the nail was completely ripped out, there wasn't even a stump, just a bloody spot where the nail should have been. Again, I believe the bleeding has stopped and now he seems to be acting completely normal. He's even hopping around on the foot with the missing nail. I would never know something was wrong if I hadn't seen it. I'm sorry if I'm all over the place with this post, I'm very worried.

What should I do? The vet is not open. I could take him to a 24 hour emergency vet but they are not rabbit savvy. Is it better to keep him home? Would a vet visit stress him out?

Thank you.

Last edited:
It may be a little tender for a few days, but normally the nail will just start growing back in, no big deal. I would keep an eye on it, check it every day for the next few days, then every other day, just to make sure there's no swelling and it hasn't become infected. If it does get infected then you would have to get him in for antibiotics. I've put a tiny light dab of plain triple antibiotic ointment, on small cuts before. Though you usually need to distract them afterwards with a snack or something, so they don't immediately try and groom it off.

Thank you JBun! Is this common for rabbits? There isn't any carpeting in their play pen or anything else he might have snagged his nail on. They have some fleece blankets, but that's it. I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again.

This happened to Theo a year ago and I freaked out! It was completely fine and healed in the next couple of days. I'm not sure how it happened to Theo but it hasn't happened again.

Yeah, that was pretty scary! I keep thinking rabbits are incredibly fragile so I just kinda panicked. He seems fine today.

Latest posts

Back