Goodbye my beautiful Peachy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peachy was suffering from Gi stasis but was doing so much better. Today we took her outside he hopped around had a seizure and died. Now I’m so worried about his mate as I didn’t give her time to small Peachys body. We were rushing him to the vet so he didn’t suffer anymore. Will my other rabbit die of a broken heart?

Bunnies are sensitive but seem to recover from all things fairly fast. I'd give more attention to her for the time being. Cosmo has been on his own for more than six months now and is doing fine--this is the first time in 20 years that we only had one bunny. Still have 10 birds and 2 dogs.

I am so sad about the loss of my Peachy and all though I know I did all I could my heart is broken. So far her sister is following me around more, eating, pooping and seems okay. I’m just so worried as she was the skittish of the two buns. I picked up Peaches ashes today and I just broke down again. I don’t want to lose my other bun. Ugh I had no idea being a bunny mom would be so heart breaking. I love these little babies.

*Hug* Losing a bunny is always so traumatic. There is a *very* tiny chance of a rabbit becoming depressed and not eating, leading to GI stasis... but that's the only possible way to die of a "broken heart". Just keep an eye on the other rabbit's appetite and give her some extra attention and she should be just fine :). It may help both of you if you sit quietly with her and talk to her about what happened and about how much you loved Peaches, etc. While her sister won't understand every word, she'll understand your tone of voice and pick up on emotions like sadness and reassurance combined with hearing Peachy's name (our rabbits all know their own and each others' names among other words, so I'm sure yours do too)... and it can be cathartic for you to talk about what's happened, even if you're talking to a rabbit. She shares your grief, after all.

It takes some time for a rabbit to adjust to not having their friend there any more... even if they do get a chance to see the body, you'll still see them looking for the missing rabbit for a while. Like with humans, they all grieve differently and for different lengths of time before they wrap their head around a major life change and accept a new "normal". The majority of rabbits are able to adjust to no longer being half of a bonded pair (or as my husband calls them, "butt cheeks") and do okay as a solo rabbit.

Binky free, little Peaches!

Latest posts

Back