Good souces of rabbit food when living far from a pet store?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I buy my own property, I plan to live out in the isolated forest, I don't know exactly where, but somewhere nice and quiet and serene. But how will I get food and other supplies for my rabbits when I am far from any civilisation, as well as pet supply stores?
Is there some easy sort of crop I can grow that they will like? Or will I just have to buy rabbit supplies in big loads to reduce the amount of times I have to go there?
I'm very new to rabbit care so sorry if I seem a little dopey.

Hi,

I gather grass and forage on my own little meadow and along little used roads and paths, on properties where owners are glad I mow some spots they don't bother about. Meanwhile I'm known as the Not-So-Grim Reaper with scyth and backpack basket around here :D. When I bought my house 5 years ago my rabbits influenced the decision, it's in a small valley with a narrow creek (works as fence for the rabbits), and about 2000m² of land (1/4th of it woods). A great bonus is that here is no wild rabbit population (at my last apartment Myxo killed 14 of my 15 rabbits, it returns every 3-5 years in the wild population).

The house is old, well over 100years, in some parts there are 2ft stone walls, although it is twice as big as I would need and has barns and stuff, it was rather cheap since not many people are drawn to places close to nowhere like this, and old houses that were added on with each generation and with wood heating, vintage plumbing and wiring aren't highly sought after, but it's exactly what I like.

Most supplies, that is pellets that I feed sparingly as a treat, or rock salt, I get at the local equivalent of tractor supply in the next town. I make half of the hay needed for winter myself, the rest I buy from a local farmer.
The only stuff I planted is Jerusalem Artichocks, those are really great rabbit food plants. I grow them around the hutches, for shade and a nice micro climate in summer (they get 4m tall), the rabbits love the greens, and in winter I feed the tubers. They dried stalks become the bottom layers of their litter boxes, with hay on top, so the top stayes dry.
Also planted some apple trees, for feeding in winter, but that'll take a few years to bear. Meanwhile, there are enough trees in the neighbourhood that don't get harvested (or sprayed).

Special stuff like a harness, tick pliers etc. aren't a problem either, just have to remember when I get somewhere. I almost don't buy anything online.
Rabbits reallxý don't need much from pet stores.
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Last edited:
I've been buying 25lb for $10 for the past year at walmart. It lasts a long time, at least a few months for two bunnies. And my bunnies like it. You def get alot more than Petco, I feel pet stores are a huge rip off, its so hard to find a deal there.

I also go to 99 cent store to check out pet supplies. Alot of times they have quality pet products that are on the same level as Petco, but it's like 99 cents for metal bowls that may cost $5-6 at Petco.
upload_2019-10-19_3-23-3.png
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Small-World-Complete-Feed-for-Rabbits-25-lbs/10323572

A lot of farmers live relatively far from cities that have pet stores, so feed stores tend to be spread out a bit more around more isolated places, and there they sell rabbit food in bulk - in 50 lb bags.

Latest posts

Back