Good rabbit books to suggest?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy Land

Reaction score
I am currently looking to buy a book about rabbits
Pretty much on any subjects such as: breeding, breeds, grooming, training, personalities etc...
Anybody has a good one that would like to share?

Rabbits for Dummies is the best one I have found. None of us are dummies (I thinko_O), but it explains so much and is really helpful.

"Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

It's just fiction, with rabbits as protagonists, but despite some inaccuracies I think it's a great book to get used to the idea that there's much more going on in those little heads than what meets the eye.

Last edited:
"Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

It's just fiction, with rabbits as protagonists, but despite some inaccuracies I think it's a great book to get used to the idea that there's much more going in those little heads than than what meets the eye.

im reading that now! I love it but in a weird way

Don't know what show, or, actually much about shows on Netflix, but I would say read the book, I don't recommend watching the movie first.

Don't know what show, or, actually much about shows on Netflix, but I would say read the book, I don't recommend watching the movie first.
I would read the book but I have a list of 191+ books that I want to read, so watching the show was helpful without having to read the book. I actually prefer reading books before watching the movie, but at the time my friend recommended watching it I didn't know there were books. If I find the time I will read it.

I favor Buseth's Rabbit Behaviour, Health, and Care as a general rabbit book.

Personally, I was disappointed with the House Rabbit Handbook, but maybe that's because I had been reading up on rabbits for over a year before I read the book. It seems more oriented towards people who are completely new to house rabbits as a concept.

If you're interested in breeds -- like, types and pictures -- ARBA publishes a Standards of Perfection book every 5-10 years.

If you're really interested in breeds -- like, genetics and stuff -- then I really enjoyed Eddy's ABC About Bunny Colors book.

Personally, I was disappointed with the House Rabbit Handbook, but maybe that's because I had been reading up on rabbits for over a year before I read the book. It seems more oriented towards people who are completely new to house rabbits as a concept.

Yes. That was me. It was in the late 80's when I got my first rabbit. :) Not sure if this was the case at the time, but it seemed to me that keeping a rabbit indoors was relatively a new idea then.

'The Private Life of the Rabbit' by R. M. Lockley. An Account of the Life History and Social Behavior of the Wild Rabbit. The book is out of print and so you have to search for it on the internet and Amazon has a few copies. It was copyrighted in 1964. I don't know how helpful it is, but it is an interesting study of European rabbits in the wild.

Latest posts

Back