Quantcast

Good Mews cat litter?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

SnowyShiloh

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
51
Location
Alaska, USA
Hi everyone! Has anyone used Good Mews cat litter for their bunnies? I think it's like Yesterday's News, the package says it's compressed recycled paper pellets. We sell it at the store where I work and it's significantly less expensive than Yesterday's News, but I want to make sure it's safe before buying it. Thanks!
 

Dia

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Location
Clifton, New Jersey, USA
I have used this in my litterbox for my rabbits, but I read an article about people finding pieces of plastic in it. I switched to the absorbant bedding now in my litterboxes and I think that works the best anyway.
 

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
7,576
Reaction score
1
Location
Austin, Texas, USA
Dia wrote:
I have used this in my litterbox for my rabbits, but I read an article about people finding pieces of plastic in it. I switched to the absorbant bedding now in my litterboxes and I think that works the best anyway.
I have not only found plastic pieces in my YN, but I have also found sharp metal objects (like staples and who knows what else).

I just use a wood pellet animal bedding or wood stove pellets.
 

Dia

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Location
Clifton, New Jersey, USA
undergunfire - yes i have found metal too, like pieces of staples it looked like. it really scared me, so i use the fluffy bedding. it costs a little more than the YN litter, but it really is the best.

i would never use cat litter either. its horrible for the rabbits.
 

SnowyShiloh

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
6,033
Reaction score
51
Location
Alaska, USA
Stove pellets are too dusty and give Rory and Skyler runny noses. We determined that that's what was causing the runny noses last summer I think it was- I'd been using stove pellets for several months and first one got a runny nose, then the other, and when we experimented with removing/re-adding the stove pellet litter, the runny noses went away/came back appropriately. I've never found anything weird in my Yesterday's News, thank goodness! Has anyone else found anything weird in Good Mews? The bits of metal are scary!
 

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
7,576
Reaction score
1
Location
Austin, Texas, USA
SnowyShiloh wrote:
I've never found anything weird in my Yesterday's News, thank goodness!
You have to look through the pieces, they are definitely there! Some pieces are blue, red, yellow, or green. Sometimes if you hold them in the light, you can see bits of metal.

I think YN is made from the sweepings off of a floor of a paper company...so you never know what you get!
 

tonyshuman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
10,313
Reaction score
96
Location
Durham, NC, USA
Yikes! All I ever found in YN was plastic--like pieces of plastic windows fro envelopes all melted together. They were big enough to pick out. Metal is bad. I think Yesterday's Mews is just like YN but maybe cheaper, so maybe it's cheaper due to poorer quality control? Wood stove pellets are probably the best (or Feline Pine/Woody Pet) in terms of cost and safety (if cost isn't an option, Carefresh is probably best, although I don't like how it clumps together if used w/o a litterbox grate), but I know they're not available in all places.
 

Dia

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Location
Clifton, New Jersey, USA
tonyshuman wrote:
Yikes! All I ever found in YN was plastic--like pieces of plastic windows fro envelopes all melted together. They were big enough to pick out. Metal is bad. I think Yesterday's Mews is just like YN but maybe cheaper, so maybe it's cheaper due to poorer quality control? Wood stove pellets are probably the best (or Feline Pine/Woody Pet) in terms of cost and safety (if cost isn't an option, Carefresh is probably best, although I don't like how it clumps together if used w/o a litterbox grate), but I know they're not available in all places.
ahh Carefresh is what I switched to. Some larger pet stores make their own brand and sometimes i get it buy one, get one. The rabbits seem to like it the best and it keeps them dry, since a few of mine like to lay in the litter box.....and i NEVER understand why.
 

sewwhat

New Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
, ,
Hi - I use Good Mews for the Guinea Pigs, I have never found anything odd it it. It is a paper product, non toxic, non clumping. Never used Yesterdays news but it looks similar. It is only 13/bag here for a very large bag. I use Carefresh for my rabbit because it is soft, since she likes to sit in the box. I probably will try the GM again because of the $. The Good Mews absorbs well and is compostable. One of the pet stores here uses the Good Mews exclusively for all of their small animal cages, because it is economical.
 
Top