Good Markings? Or Not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocoClover

Rabbit Geek
Reaction score
This is Theo. He is a Himalayan mini Rex.

I want to show him and I'm wondering if anyone can see any faults. I am new to showing and I would appreciate input.

P. S. His fur is really thick.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400515683.441032.jpg

Sorry about the picture. He moves around a lot and I couldn't get him to sit still well enough.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400515734.179481.jpg

Ooh, he's dirty in that one. He is clean now. Just pay attention to the coloring, not the dirt 😉

You need to pose him in order for us to tell his faults. I'll attach a picture of the proper pose for a mini rex. If you're planning on showing your rabbits, you should pose them everyday so they get used to it. Judges like when a rabbit is easily posed. Do you have the arba standard of perfection?

Body (35) -- Body should be well proportioned; balanced and uniform. Body is to be compact and smooth. Shoulders, midsection and hindquarters are to be well developed and well filled. Depth ad width of body should be in balance. When viewed from above there should be a slight taper from the hindquarters to the shoulders. When viewed from the side, the topline should rise gradually from the base of the ears to a high point over the center of the hips and then round down to a full hindquarter at the base of the tail. Small dewlaps are allowed in does. Legs should be straight, rather short in length and medium to fine in bone. Tail should be proportional to body.

Head (5) --Head should balance with the body and be set relatively close to the shoulders. Face and jaws should be well-filled with a slightly more refined face in does. Eyes should be bright and bold.

Ears (5) -- Ears should balance with body; be thick, short and carried erect. Ears cannot exceed 3 1/2 inches in length

Fur should be extremely dense, straight and upright with an ideal length of 5/8 inch. It should be the same length, density, and texture over the entire body. Guard hairs should be plentiful and evenly distributed without noticeable protrution. Fur should be plush and offer a distinct springy resistance when touched.

Himalayan (black or blue) -- body color is to be a bright white with the ears, feet, tail and nose dark blue or black. The nose marking is to come well up on the face and is be well rounded, clean cut, and distinct. The markings on the feet are to be carried well up on the forelegs and above the hock joint on the hind legs. The ears are to be well colored and clean at the base. The upper and lower sides of the tail are to be well colored. Toenails are to be dark and the eyes are to be pink.(quoted from the Mini Rex standard - ARBA Standard of perfection)

Faults - light, faded, or uneven marking color, light shading on markings; color on dewlap.

Disqualifications - any color or smut on the usable portion of the pelt; absence of color on the ears, nose, feet, or tail; definite white spot(s) in the colored markings; white toenails; white on the underside of tail; marten markings on points.

Thank you. I will try to get him to pose correctly and post a picture. I'm not sure, but I think his coloring is a bit brownish and maybe (just maybe) has a white spot. I will make sure though.

Here's a better pose. Sorry about the lighting. The only way I could get him to pose was to put him on my chair, where the light was bad.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401242064.325898.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1401242093.901950.jpg

I also couldn't get him in the position perfectly. He wanted to lay down but I wanted him to sit up. Too bad he wasn't in the mood. I must work on making him more comfortable with posing.

Latest posts

Back