Good litter boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil14

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a new litter box, and I was having a hard time finding good ones. I was thinking of a litter box with a grate, but any suggestions are helpful!
Thanks so much!

I have heard that corner litter boxes are not good for rabbits. Is that true? Or is it just they have to be bigger than some of the rabbit corner ones?

I'm trying to make sure they are in the 18"x24" (18" both sides and 24" across) range. @Blue eyes referenced. I didn't see any corner ones in that article. Maybe some others will chime in on this.

Last edited:
Corner boxes are generally not preferred. Most made-for-rabbits corner litter boxes are woefully small. The cat ones are a bit larger for sure but are still roughly half the size they should be. If a rectangular litter box is 24" long, then by comparison, a 24" corner box is only going to be half of that size in inside area.

The corner litter boxes may work for cats because they get in, do their business, and get out. Rabbits aren't like that. They like their litter boxes. They will munch on hay while in the box -- which is just what we want because they potty while they graze. They also like to lounge inside their litter box and that's a fine thing for them to do (and also a great reason to top their litter with hay -- it keeps them up off of soiled litter).

I suppose a large cat corner box could possibly work ok for one rabbit, but stil lnot ideal in my opinion. I would not recommend it for 2 rabbits because 2 rabbits should be able to both fit inside their box together at the same time. (see photo) Corner boxes simply aren't conducive to that.

For rectangular shaped boxes, any storage container type box (see photo) can work. It doesn't have to be a designated "litter box." I actually like to have 2 boxes, using just one at a time. I can prep one, trade it out with the soiled one, then take my time cleaning and air drying the soiled one.

Grates on top of the litter generally are not needed unless one happens to have a voracious digger. Once in a while a particular rabbit insists on digging out all the litter. Those are the owners that would do well with a grate. Otherwise, that grate is just another thing that needs to be cleaned (think smushed poo between the grates and having to scrub that out). Of all the rabbits I've had, I've been fortunate enough to never have a digger that required me to get a grate. They did just fine with hay topping wood pellet litter.

Attachments

• litter box with both.jpg
    litter box with both.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I bought bar bussing bins (I think that’s what they are called). They are heavy duty large enough for 1-2 rabbits depending on size and cost me $5 Canadian. This was/is a great option however my male had started to dig and throw everything out so I bought him this cat box and that worked. I now keep all my bunnies together during the day and they use whatever box they feel like now. Here are pics! I also use wood pellets for litter and they love them! And I love them! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Corner boxes are generally not preferred. Most made-for-rabbits corner litter boxes are woefully small. The cat ones are a bit larger for sure but are still roughly half the size they should be. If a rectangular litter box is 24" long, then by comparison, a 24" corner box is only going to be half of that size in inside area.

The corner litter boxes may work for cats because they get in, do their business, and get out. Rabbits aren't like that. They like their litter boxes. They will munch on hay while in the box -- which is just what we want because they potty while they graze. They also like to lounge inside their litter box and that's a fine thing for them to do (and also a great reason to top their litter with hay -- it keeps them up off of soiled litter).

I suppose a large cat corner box could possibly work ok for one rabbit, but stil lnot ideal in my opinion. I would not recommend it for 2 rabbits because 2 rabbits should be able to both fit inside their box together at the same time. (see photo) Corner boxes simply aren't conducive to that.

For rectangular shaped boxes, any storage container type box (see photo) can work. It doesn't have to be a designated "litter box." I actually like to have 2 boxes, using just one at a time. I can prep one, trade it out with the soiled one, then take my time cleaning and air drying the soiled one.

Grates on top of the litter generally are not needed unless one happens to have a voracious digger. Once in a while a particular rabbit insists on digging out all the litter. Those are the owners that would do well with a grate. Otherwise, that grate is just another thing that needs to be cleaned (think smushed poo between the grates and having to scrub that out). Of all the rabbits I've had, I've been fortunate enough to never have a digger that required me to get a grate. They did just fine with hay topping wood pellet litter.
I may try a corner litter box around the house when they are free-roaming but will be going with a rectangle or square box in their area since we will have two and based on this information.

I will say, a corner litter box can work depending on the size of the litter box, the size of the rabbit, and the number of rabbits. They usually don’t work because they’re almost always too small. My personal favorite, particularly for my satin angora (Felicia) who’s a big bun, is the ExquisiCat Plastic Compartment Litter Pan. It’s heavy duty (which I love), comfortably sized for Felicia, and it’s a dream for me to clean (which I also love). Since Felicia isn’t compelled to shred puppy pads, I like to place a puppy pad on the bottom and put in a generous amount of hay. I fold the puppy pad a bit so it fits snuggly in the bottom of the litter box and under the hay. Felicia won’t shred it, but she will flip it over. Even then the litter box is still easy to clean (8 minutes instead of 5), but that’s defeating the purpose Felicia! Also, to make use of the storage compartments on the side of the litter box, I just stuff them with extra hay.

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/litter...MI1pClxKm7_QIV0RB9Ch1ltg4nEAQYAyABEgIXaPD_BwE
My other rabbit (Olaf) will shred puppy pads, so I fold the puppy pad so that it fits perfectly on the bottom of his litter box and hide it under paper grocery bags. Then I add a generous amount of hay. He never finds the puppy pad 😏. I could just use the paper bags on the bottom of the litter box, but they don’t have the same absorbency of puppy pads. Olaf and Felicia don’t live in the same setup, so their litter boxes are different. I like Felicia’s better.

We use that and a bigger one in his cage like what will fit in his cage and he will use it we use 2 though cuz we let him hop in the living room while we keep a eye on him.but we use white bedding and I love it

Attachments

• IMG_20230303_071535450.jpg
    IMG_20230303_071535450.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back